No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Holyfield's Goal is To Bring The Belts Back To America

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Holyfield's Goal is To Bring The Belts Back To America

By Keith Idec - Twenty years ago, Evander Holyfield was headed toward one of the biggest fights of his career.

Fresh off his tremendous third-round knockout of James “Buster” Douglas, he was one of boxing’s biggest stars. The former cruiserweight champion demolished the man who beat the man and was making more than $25 million per fight.

George Foreman, four years and 24 fights into his heavyweight revival, was his opponent in a masterfully marketed main event that essentially established pay-per-view boxing as we now know it. A much smaller, much younger Holyfield defeated Foreman by unanimous decision at the Atlantic City Convention Center in that April 1991 bout, which propelled the Atlanta native into one of boxing’s best trilogies with Riddick Bowe and a celebrated career in which he earned nearly $300 million.

Two decades later, Holyfield is Foreman, only older.

At 48, he is six years older than Foreman was when they fought for the undisputed heavyweight championship. He is still slightly younger — seven months, to be exact — than Foreman was during his final fight in November 1997, when he lost an infamous majority decision to Shannon Briggs at Trump Taj Mahal in Atlantic City.

Holyfield has many more detractors than Foreman did, though, as he continues to box while his 50th birthday looms. A cringing legion of fans and media members has wished for nearly a decade that Holyfield would halt his unrealistic pursuit of regaining his status as undisputed champion.

As usual, a defiant Holyfield couldn’t care less.

“People have been telling me what I can’t do all of my life,” Holyfield said. “I’ve made a career out of proving people wrong.”

That’s Holyfield’s stock answer, precisely what he has to say as he keeps clinging to the belief that he’ll get the opportunities he needs to become the division’s unified champion again, no matter how old he’ll get in the process. Still, deep down Holyfield has to be asking himself how it all came to tonight. [Click Here To Read More]

Had Evan Fields won against Valuev we would have unified belts now... as sad as it is...

Comment

Originally posted by hweightblogger View Post
      Had Evan Fields won against Valuev we would have unified belts now... as sad as it is...
      Good point. Only because Evan would actually fight Wlad.

Comment

Amerikkka doesn't deserve a true warrior like Evander Holyfield.

Comment

Holyfield might have a few good fights left but it is to the point I would like to see him retire. His dream of winning and unifying the titles again is far gone.

Comment

It looks like Holys gone into pron...

They could have put a better photo up, the guys a legend.

Comment

Holyfield goal is to earn more $

Comment

Originally posted by prinzemanspopa View Post
                Amerikkka doesn't deserve a true warrior like Evander Holyfield.
                One of the dumbest statements I have ever read. Could you be any more racist?

Comment

The plan is to win these 2 fights & go after Haye. That fight will sell & maKe millions. Beat HAYE & then the Klitschko's will fight him because they want the last belt. Haye's got nobody else to fight & is really in no mood to fight a Klitschko. Let him have a false sense of security with Holyfield. Holy will sucker him into going toe to toe & get the belt. Not as farfetched as one may seem Holy really only has to win 2 or 3 straight in that scenario. Why do peeps keep insisting it's impossible.

Comment

Originally posted by jimmy1569 View Post
                    The plan is to win these 2 fights & go after Haye. That fight will sell & maKe millions. Beat HAYE & then the Klitschko's will fight him because they want the last belt. Haye's got nobody else to fight & is really in no mood to fight a Klitschko. Let him have a false sense of security with Holyfield. Holy will sucker him into going toe to toe & get the belt. Not as farfetched as one may seem Holy really only has to win 2 or 3 straight in that scenario. Why do peeps keep insisting it's impossible.
                    look hes ma fav fighter his last good performance was lewis 2 which i and many others thought he won by 3rounds that was ages ago he has no chance of being undisputed champ.
                    am just amazed no1 has came close to totaly destroying him in recent years he can still beat b- fighters which is a credit to the guy at his age and am praying he puts in an ok performance against willians tonight cause he struggled for the first 4rounds with botha beats neilson and well take it from their.

Comment

Working...
                    X