No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Fighting Words - What Huge Success of “The One” Means

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Fighting Words - What Huge Success of “The One” Means

by David P. Greisman - There were two narratives surrounding Floyd Mayweather’s latest fight: the size of his opponent and the size of his paycheck. The conversations following his latest victory centered on his 45th win and his fourth lineal title in five weight classes, and on the $41.5 million payday guaranteed to him as a minimum payday and the millions more he is expected to receive.

There is the ring, and there is the revenue. Much of the talk in the days immediately after the Sept. 14 pay-per-view analyzed the manner in which Mayweather defeated Canelo Alvarez by majority decision. Not long afterward, the numbers rolled in and were released out, changing the headlines from Mayweather’s win to his windfall.

The live gate at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas brought in a record $20,003,150 for 16,146 tickets, not including what some of those seats went for on the secondary sales market. The closed circuit broadcasts elsewhere in the city drew an additional 26,163 people and added another $2,615,360 to the coffers.

The initial pay-per-view estimates in the United States fell short of the buy rate of Mayweather’s bout with Oscar De La Hoya in 2007. That didn’t matter much, though, given that the higher price tag for Mayweather-Alvarez meant that the estimated 2.2 million pay-per-view sales in America brought in a record high of nearly $150,000,000.

Meanwhile in Mexico, the card was the country’s highest-rated boxing broadcast ever. Three out of every four television sets turned on that night were tuned in. More than 22 million people were watching in nearly 6 million homes. [Click Here To Read More]

Now that Mayweather beat Alvarez, I wonder if we'll see Canelo back on Mayweather undercards or co-features.

Comment

Originally posted by anonymous2.0 View Post
      Now that Mayweather beat Alvarez, I wonder if we'll see Canelo back on Mayweather undercards or co-features.
      I think that would be a good idea as it would build canelo up more with non mexican audience state side. Its just a matter of time before canelo is a major ppv star as long as he does not stumble vs a fighter he should beat. Losing to floyd did not hurt him at all, it will only make him a better fighter. Plus he didn't look bad vs floyd for such a young fighter.

Comment

I still would like to see manny vs. mayweather rather than the names being mentioned.

Comment

Originally posted by anonymous2.0 View Post
          I wouldn't see the point. Not even the most diehard of diehard Canelo fans would buy him as a legit opponent again for Floyd. He just needs go in another direction.

Comment

He definitely should fight guys who are tailor made for him for a while. Him and Cotto would be an awesome fight. Lara would be all wrong for him.

Comment

Originally posted by pvramos View Post
              I still would like to see manny vs. mayweather rather than the names being mentioned.
              You're not alone...
              Floyd vs Manny must happen.

Comment

Working...
              X