Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boxing as a Sport: Abril/Rios Fighting Style?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boxing as a Sport: Abril/Rios Fighting Style?

In no way am I trying to justify the decision that was made. I scored only 2 rounds to Rios. But I absolutely hate the fighting style that Abril has...ugly,messy,awkward,boring.

If boxing was full(majority) of guys with the same fighting style/tactics as Abril would you be a fan of boxing? Yes or No?
    YES
    38.10%
    NO
    61.90%

Irrelevant question.

Judge fairly, then this question becomes irrelevant.

Comment

One of the things I like about boxing is there are so many ways to skin the cat, I like seeing all the different styles and how different guys spin similar styles differently. If that veriety wasn't there boxing would lose something to me, that would go for any style though it would just get very repetitive.

I would probably still dig it though as it is still a tough sport just probably not as much.

Comment

i would not be. i don't support fixed fights but i see the reason for the corruption. i know i'm going to get some **** for saying this but i'm a little relieved rios got the decision because it means other top fighters won't be able to say things like "rios lost to abril so i don't need to fight him." and before anyone comes in here and tells me i'm not a boxing fan, you're right. i'm more of a fight fan. i want to be entertained.

Comment

Thats not what all his fights look like. he used this strategy on Rios because he is a brawler

Comment

I'm not going to get rose colored glasses on here, and proclaim the genesis of my boxing watching.

But not every fight can be Alvarado vs Herrera. I've come to appreciate pretty much all types of fights, and fighters.

But that's just me.

And if you don't like the style that Abril has, can't knock you for it. You like what you like.

Comment

I like the fact that there are guys of all different styles and it adds to the drama when your fave fighter comes up against on obstacle like that. The prob w/ last night was that Rios fought half-heartedly. He didn't attempt to do anything that would overcome what Abril was giving him.
              Meanwhile, we had JMM in the next fight about to bite through his mouthpiece as he was trying to knock that kid out the whole fight. Two roughly similar match-ups but one guy was able to get through the long jab and take care of business.

Comment

Originally posted by The Gambler1981 View Post
                One of the things I like about boxing is there are so many ways to skin the cat, I like seeing all the different styles and how different guys spin similar styles differently. If that veriety wasn't there boxing would lose something to me, that would go for any style though it would just get very repetitive.

I would probably still dig it though as it is still a tough sport just probably not as much.
                Excellent statements.

I don't particularly like Abril's style, but the way he implemented his game plan against Rios was praiseworthy. Richie was a real craftsman on Saturday night. It was beautiful to watch him work. Abril was the antidote to Rios's primitive style. It was a clinic.

Is it preferable to always watch two men walk into the middle of the ring and bludgeon each other until only one is left standing? If that's one's thing, I won't knock it; but that's not boxing.

Comment

Abril stunk up the fight.....

Comment

I enjoy watching a boxing match, but if everyone started doing that i wouldn't keep warching. I like to see adversity in the ring.
                    I thought Abril should've showcased his marketability, get a buzz going, after all he was given a PPV opportunity of a lifetime. But standing in the philly shell for 2min straight, in the someplace just catching punches ain't gonna cut it. Especially if your unknown and just ruined a PPV for your promoter. Good luck with that.

Comment

Working...
                    X