No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Hernandez Eyes Troy Ross, Wegner Rips The Referee

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Hernandez Eyes Troy Ross, Wegner Rips The Referee

Ulli Wegner believes that Yoan Pablo Hernandez (25-1, 13 KOs) victory over IBF Cruiserweight Champion Steve Cunningham (24-3, 12 KOs) should have been a first round KO rather than a sixth-round technical decision. The hard-hitting Cuban knocked down his American opponent in the first round with a huge left hook.

[Click Here To Read More]

Hernandez-Ross would be a damn good fight. Ross deserves another crack at the titles after his performance against Cunningham. He was putting it on Steve, and Cunningham wouldn't grant him a rematch after the cut stoppage win.

Comment

H

This long count stuff is nonsense. From the time Cunningham hit the floor to the time the ref hit 8&9 he was up. That was a perfectly normal boxing count. It is ironic, and fair, that Cunningham might have to wait now for Ross to get his shot.

Comment

Wegner should be glad that the referee stopped the fight on a cut after 4 rounds were completed because otherwise his fighter wouldn't have walked out with the belt.

Comment

You could say that Cunningham's loss after how the Ross fight went down was poetic justice but the same could be said about Hernandez if there even was a long count (not in my opinion).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFo6rSluwxg

This referee still gets steady employement in European boxing circles.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreatA View Post
            You could say that Cunningham's loss after how the Ross fight went down was poetic justice but the same could be said about Hernandez if there even was a long count (not in my opinion).

That was not a long count...though I could see where the confusion would be in the same country as the Lamon BrewsterLuan Krasniqi "two KO" fight a few years ago.

To be fair, every country pretty much sucks for judging and this silly cut crap these days.

Comment

I just checked this on video. Cunningham was down for around 10-12 seconds in the 1st.

I think, Hernandez deserved the close win. He was suprisingly good. Howhever the fight was still open after 6 rounds - Cunningham fought back and could have won the fight if not these evil cuts and blood running into Hernandez eye. Check the headbutts on video in slow motion - these clarify a lot. Rematch would be the most logical consequence, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by crold1 View Post
                That was not a long count...though I could see where the confusion would be in the same country as the Lamon BrewsterLuan Krasniqi "two KO" fight a few years ago.

To be fair, every country pretty much sucks for judging and this silly cut crap these days.

Every country pretty much sucks but the Germans just don't care what they have to do to steal a win even when it's right there on TV for everyone to see.

Dating back to giving Arthur Abraham a 15 minute break to clean up his face in the first Abraham fight and the Krasniqi double KO, to the ref helping Hernandez to his feet from a knockdown against Braithwaite and forcing Hernandez to then take 7 or 8 more brutal shots, there are some pretty egregious errors in judgement coming from the man inside the ring, not just the judges.

It's a damn good thing the German's don't have any silly fights where the referee is the sole judge and free to **** up that aspect of the fight as well such as when Terry O'Conner basically sprinted across the ring to raise Tyson Fury's hand after he was convincingly beaten by John McDermott.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex_Ex View Post
                  I just checked this on video. Cunningham was down for around 10-12 seconds in the 1st.
                  All that matters is beating the referee's count.

In the history of boxing there has never been a single count that was exactly 10 seconds. They are all long or short by fractions of a second, sometimes more.

I remember Don King making a big stink about Buster Douglas getting a long count against Tyson and if you put it on a stop watch her certainly did. But he could have beaten an 8 count if that were the rule, and he probably could have beaten a 5 count. He took his 9 nine count and got up. If that took 10 seconds in real time it hardly is grounds for disputing the fight or calling the referee incompetent.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreatA View Post

this............

Comment

Working...
                    X