Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

why do khan and ortiz say prescott-maidana have to EARN a right to fight them?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cumon Larry you know that boxing is as much of a business as it is a sport and you know its a stupid question your asking,i think they should both rematch the guys that beat them but of course it wont happen (both cases are different too) and its doesnt make them 'duckers' or '*****es' either,like the deluded haters claim

Comment

Maidana is still in the mix tbh, prescott not so much

maybe Maidana vs Prescott? great match up

Comment

Originally posted by The_Demon View Post
        Cumon Larry you know that boxing is as much of a business as it is a sport and you know its a stupid question your asking,i think they should both rematch the guys that beat them but of course it wont happen (both cases are different too) and its doesnt make them 'duckers' or '*****es' either,like the deluded haters claim
        A rematch with guys that KTFO makes business sense.

Comment

Originally posted by DWiens421 View Post
          Ortiz has gotten an awfully big mouth on him since winning the Berto fight. He is right that Maidana has to earn a fight with him, just like anyone else in the world has to earn a fight with a fighter on Ortiz's level... the problem is, he already has. Maidana made his name in the sport by beating Ortiz, and since then, beat a good slick boxer in undefeated Victor Cayo, an aging former champion, although one who has popped the hype balloon of many a prospect coming up in very recent fights, gave a very good account of himself in the Amir Khan fight and beating a legend in Erik Morales. Nothing I just said should have lost Maidana his place in line for a rematch with Ortiz.

Prescott on the other hand has lost his place in line. Yes, his win over Khan was fantastic. No, losing back to back fights to Miguel Vazquez and Kevin Mitchell are not excused just because of the first Khan win. Think of it this way... what credit would Khan receive for beating Prescott? Some would say that he avenged his loss to Prescott, but the truth is, it was against a dilapidated version of Prescott who has been exposed as someone vulnerable to boxers. Here's a nice cross reference to compare it to. Julio Cesar Chavez winning a rematch against Meldrick Taylor didn't do nearly as much for him as the first fight did, because Taylor had already lost a couple of times since then, and people pointed to those losses as proof that he wasn't his prime self anymore.
          Interesting and good points. But I must ask this my friend, what credit would Ortiz receive for beating a guy who struggled to beat a shot Morales?

Ortiz also said hes done at 140 pounds.

Comment

Their respective style will still be a problem for either fighter. Maidana is still a pressure fighter with a heavy punch and Prescott still fights in the pocket and gets full extention on his shots.

It is the easy way to say I'm not fighting him. It goes around the lines with the other excuse if there is enough money to fight him

Comment

Originally posted by No Ceilings View Post
              Interesting and good points. But I must ask this my friend, what credit would Ortiz receive for beating a guy who struggled to beat a shot Morales?

Ortiz also said hes done at 140 pounds.
              Morales showed that he wasn't that shot, right? I think Maidana could move to 147 easily, maybe a catchweight?

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
                Khan has completely and indisputably been proven to be on another level than Prescott. Prescott has done nothing since that upset, while Khan will soon be fighting for the right to be called the best fighter at 140 in the world. Prescott absolutely has to earn the chance to fight Khan again.
                We knew Khan was on another level than Prescott, even when he got knocked out. We know he's the far better boxer now. But that doesn't mean Prescott doesn't deserve another fight, being the only fighter to beat and KO Khan in his career. Khan absolutely should be willing to set the record straight, especially when he's fighting guys like McCloskey, who despite being European champion, had never had a meaningful fight against a top calibre opponent in his life.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Demon View Post
                  Prescott fell off a bit since but you can't give any legitimate reason why Ortiz shouldn't rematch Maidana. There is none, he is a relevant world class fighter still, there is a storyline, and there is no more notable fight he can get right now.

Comment

Originally posted by TOBYLEE1 View Post
                    Their respective style will still be a problem for either fighter. Maidana is still a pressure fighter with a heavy punch and Prescott still fights in the pocket and gets full extention on his shots.

It is the easy way to say I'm not fighting him. It goes around the lines with the other excuse if there is enough money to fight him
                    Exacto. Plain and basic common sense.

Comment

Because neither of them have done anything at the weight Ortiz or Khan is competing in and are champions at.

Comment

Working...
                      X