No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Guerrero Discusses Berto, Drug Testing, Legacy, More

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Guerrero Discusses Berto, Drug Testing, Legacy, More

By Lyle Fitzsimmons - I’ve never been hesitant to engage with Robert Guerrero.

When he initially piped up last winter with claims that Floyd Mayweather Jr. wanted no part of him because Guerrero was “the guy that can hurt him and he knows it,” I respectfully asked that he clam up until his resume provided more champion-baiting leverage.

And when he threw a cheesy interim welterweight belt across his shoulder in July and claimed a points win over Selcuk Aydin made him the first Mexican-American with crowns in four weight classes, I quickly suggested he take a stroll through the trophy room over at Golden Boy Promotions.

Specifically, the wing housing the six straps won by the guy with his name on the door.

Still, in spite of my occasionally less-than-celebratory take on his achievements, I’ll give the “Ghost” full credit for being a professional. And after I contacted his ace publicist, Mario Serrano, for an interview a few days back, Guerrero was nothing if not cooperative when it came to answering questions. [Click Here To Read More]

yep they need extensive drug tests for this cheat

Comment

It's nice Guerrero has a heart of a champion, but his performances say "not elite."

Comment

"People forget Aydin was the mandatory challenger to fight Floyd and Berto, but they chose not to fight him because he’s a dangerous fighter."

Sure thing, Robert. Floyd took the easy way out by fighting an Ortiz coming off a FOTY win, and Cotto, at 154lbs, who was also coming off a huge win. Clearly Aydin was not a viable PPV opponent. It's hard to like RG, he talks such nonsense.

Comment

Guerrero will show up to rumble

Guerrero will make a fight of it and Give Berto a scrap but will fade near the end and lose a decision.

Comment

Originally posted by spoonwars View Post
            It's nice Guerrero has a heart of a champion, but his performances say "not elite."
            I disagree. When Guerrero punished Katsidis a couple of years ago the boxing writers were saying he was the best lightweight in the world and could probably beat Marquez. Guerrero has all of the tools of an elite fighter: speed, power, and he can box and take a good shot. It remains to be seen whether Guerrero can be an elite fighter at 147 but going off of his past performances I'd say there's a damn good chance

Comment

I don't know how well Guerrero can fit in at 147, Berto will probably be the biggest guy he's faced.

Comment

this one can go either way i think. RG took Aydens shot pretty well but can he take Berto's - with the hand speed?? - if Berto can't KO Guerrero he's probably going to end up on the losing end of a decision. RG is very hungry. Looking forward to this fight...

Comment

Originally posted by spoonwars View Post
                  Are you suggesting Berto is elite? Who is elite? Guerrero at least showed he can move up multiple weight classes and win, not many others can say that. If Berto moved up six weight classes then he'd be fighting light heavyweights. Guerrero is elite and his career shows it.

Comment

Originally posted by APBrooklyn View Post
                    this one can go either way i think. RG took Aydens shot pretty well but can he take Berto's - with the hand speed?? - if Berto can't KO Guerrero he's probably going to end up on the losing end of a decision. RG is very hungry. Looking forward to this fight...
                    +1 very good post

Comment

Working...
                    X