No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Merchant: Martinez is Lucky To Get 10% With Mayweather

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Merchant: Martinez is Lucky To Get 10% With Mayweather

The world-recognized best middleweight, Sergio 'Maravilla' Martinez, was in the spotlight again last night as he carved up a late-round stoppage over brave-but-outgunned Matthew Macklin inside of The Theatre at Madison Square Garden. Overcoming a slow start that saw him dropped in the sixth round, Martinez would turn up the heat late in the fight as he registered a pair of knockdowns in the eleventh round that had the Birmingham, England fighter’s corner electing to throw in the towel in between rounds.

[Click Here To Read More]

**** HBO, I seriously wish I could get SKY over here in the US. HBO just rides on that Top Rank C0CK.

can't piss off Arum or they'll lose Pacquiao

Chavez is a joke and HBO used to remember that but I guess they forgot after all the TR nuthugging

Comment

how much did Ortiz get to face Floyd? Well, Martinez should get about 3 times that then

Comment

Originally posted by mathed View Post
        how much did Ortiz get to face Floyd? Well, Martinez should get about 3 times that then
        $15 mil for what? His biggest purse is a 1.5 or so. F-ck does he bring to the table?

Comment

Wow, Merchant has become quite the Chavez fanboy.

Comment

the old fart says the truth, Mayweather is in the position to demand and he won't take a low price for a high risk fight.

Comment

Originally posted by mathed View Post
              Based on what?

Ortiz beat a reigning #2WW champion when he fought Berto.

Martinez beat Pavlik after Pavlik got humiliated by BHOP and PWILL after PWILL had gotten exposed by Quintana and had a win over him.

Why do fans say make such exaggerated and extremely unfounded statements?

After last night's performance, I hate to say it but Merchant is right on this one.

Are you seriously implying that this guy is boxing like a P4P#3???????

This is why I hate subjective lists. they open up a can of worms that lead to DUMBSHlT like this.

It allows people who have no reasons to write what they do to nominate ANYONE as the best, and they have no responsibility to back it up.

This isn't a case of having an off night. Martinez looked less than world class in his fight before that as well. The questions and suspicions that were born in the Barker fight were not answered last night.

I don't understand how anyone could call this man P4P when it was truly Macklin's lack of conditioning that lost him the fight and Martinez' superior conditioning that won it for him.

ANYONE can look like they've adjusted and they are "turning it up" once their opponent's are completely gassed.

Some of you seriously don't watch or understand boxing.

Once a fighter is gassed but refuses to quit, what can he do but weather the storm or hope to land a hail mary shot? Macklin wasn't impressive as a boxer, but his approach basically laid a blueprint to how to beat Martinez.

If you fight from behind your jab and pump it .. if you keep your hands up especially after throwing .. if you move to your right after landing and throw a left hook .. Martinez is reduced to pot-shotting and running.

Rewatch the fight. Macklin is taking the fight by storm by any measure. But he's doing enough to score and stay in the fight and even eventually takes the lead. Macklin is a limited fighter, but his approach wasn't meant to display any god given skill. It was meant to nullify Sergio's approach IF AND ONLY IF he kept doing the things that were keeping him in the fight from the beginning.

Matt gave up head movement that was making Sergio miss.

Matt gave up jabbing that made Sergio retreat and opened up opportunities for him Matt to score.

Matt gave began following Sergio around because he got impatient because he knew he didn't have much left.

Matt gave up going for bodyshots at that point in favor or hail mary headshots because he needed to land something big real fast because he was gassing after the 8th.

Nothing Sergio supposedly adapted to forced Macklin to make those mistakes .. and I challenge anyone to discuss what Sergio did to turn the tide aside from simply outlasting Macklin's conditioning.

If Macklin could have conceivably finished the fight strong, he was in a position to get a draw or a win before the 11th round knockdowns. And anyone watching the fight saw that Macklin was simply plodding forward and throwing sloppy shots by that point. He wasn't the same guy as he was from round 3-8.

Sergio Martinez's last two performances were no better than Devon Alexander's performances against Lucas Matthysse and Andriy Kotelnyk.

The real difference being a willingness to honestly critique a performance on the merits and not on how much you like a guy.

Because so many believe that Sergio is better than he is despite him only having two noteworthy wins in 50+ fights, some feel the need to defend him when there is no defense.

I usually HATE the HBO telecast. I'm notoriously one of their biggest haters. But they were calling what happened last night right.

Sergio definitely won, but his performance showed that he was absolutely nothing special. And as Lampley pointed out, someone close to Sergio in his own camp expressed that there is reason to be concerned about Martinez' ability to win fights nowadays.

Comment

He's right. Martinez should be calling out fighters like Ward and Bute. If he calls out Chavez, then why not them? Wanting to fight Floyd or Manny is ****ing pathetic. He ain't no small MW - that's BS.
                Last edited by Main Source; 03-18-2012, 10:54 AM.

Comment

martinez would fight for free. macklin from my home town and represented!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Larry is going to say whatever he wants to not give Martinez his Props. Macklin was a tough fighter last night. To me Larry was going for Macklin the whole time And as soon as Steward starts agreeing with him Sergio starts to let his hands go and proves them both wrong. I give Props to Jim Lampley for calling the fight with no favoritism liking both fighters in the ring.

Comment

Working...
                    X