No announcement yet.

Ronnie Shields' take on Lara's Chances Against Mayweather

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JoeWbbmest311 View Post
    I was just thinking of this fight the other day. On paper, it's certainly not a fight one would consider forking over $60+ to watch.

But, I really believe Lara, skills wise, has P4P potential. It's just getting the opportunity to prove it is where I think he will have a problem.

I think his style could give Floyd some trouble in the ring, and I think he could do enough to deserve to win a decision. Lara doesn't do one thing spectacular, but he does a lot of things very well; plus his size and southpaw stance certainly work to his advantage as well.

The way Floyd's style has evolved doesn't suit him well in this matchup, I think he would need to use his feet a bit more than he has lately.

The below text was taken from the artcle here...

http://www.e@stsideboxing.com/news.php?p=32666&more=1

CIANI: Just to get your perspective on where Lara is right now, if he was to get an unlikely opportunity against pound-for-pound king Floyd Mayweather Junior, what would you think of his chances?

SHIELDS: Oh man! I would think his chances are like 70-30, with 70 being for him and 30 being for Floyd just for the simple reason that look. Floyd is a great fighter, but Floyd is a great fighter fighting guys like a Miguel Cotto, who’s past his prime, and like a too small guy like Marquez who he beat. Now look, Floyd is a good fighter but this is a different competition with Erislandy Lara. We’re talking about a bigger guy who’s just a natural 154 pounder. There is no way in the world in my heart I know that Floyd can beat a guy like Erislandy Lara, just for the simple reason that Lara is so much smarter than everybody Floyd has ever fought in his career. When you have that, and plus he’s a bigger guy and a stronger guy, I don’t see how Floyd would be able to keep him off of him.
    hes smarter than Floyd?

....NO!

Comment

What makes people think being a pressure fighter is the key to beating Floyd?

He dominated every pressure fighter he's faced recently and has seen that style throughout his career. The first Castillo fight was a decade ago and Floyd is an older, more experienced and moves a lot less than he did back then. People need to hop off of that "Castillo set the Blueprint on how to beat Floyd" train of thought.

The guy who gave him the most problems other than Castillo was Zab Judah who is an athletically gifted boxer with fast hands and solid skills. Floyd hasn't fought somebody in that mold since Judah in 2006.

Now, Lara doesn't have the handspeed of a Zab, but he's still very skilled and can challenge anyone at 154. That's why I think this fight will be more interesting than what people are giving it credit for.
      Last edited by -PBP-; 07-09-2012, 10:06 AM.

Comment

Too bad this will never happen and if it did and Lara did win he wouldnt get credit cause Floyd is on "the decline."

Comment

Originally posted by Mastrangelo
          Nah, there would always be some excuses, but he'd get hell of a credit for beating Floyd, no doubt about it.
          But why Am I even talking about it, Floyd will never take fight like that.
          You right. Floyd would probably not take a fight like this one but Golden Boy would not try to make it even if Floyd wanted it. Why? Cause look at the ****ty way they promote Lara and they still have Canelo.

Sometimes I feel like Lara is overshadowed by Canelo. And I cant believe Im saying this but he would probably be better off with Top Rank. He's with Al Haymon now so lets see if things get better.

Comment

I agree. Lara has a quick untelegraphed straight left and he uses it with good timing and accuracy. I think he would hit Floyd with this punch. A KO win for Lara would be possible. Floyd is slowing down in my opinion, as most 35 year old fighters do. I don't think Floyd would ever take this fight.

Comment

That's true, I remember at Laras beginning with Golden Boy when he fought at some Floyds undercard I belive, hbo guys were talking how Oscar is excited about him. I'm sure his career would be in completely different place if Alvarez fought in different weight-class. The same can be said about Rigondeaux and Donaire. Those Cubans have no chance to ever bring really big money, so they are not priority if there's someone with bigger fanbase who can be promoted as well.
              Hopefully Mayweather Promotions (or Golden Boy, however you look at it) will promote Gamboa well and make him the first true Cuban megastar in the sport. This would pave the way for those that come after him.

It's kind of funny because the job of a promoter is to promote the talent on your roster and help build their fanbases. The fact that they are not doing that with Lara means they are not doing their job well.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeWbbmest311 View Post
                I was just thinking of this fight the other day. On paper, it's certainly not a fight one would consider forking over $60+ to watch.

But, I really believe Lara, skills wise, has P4P potential. It's just getting the opportunity to prove it is where I think he will have a problem.

I think his style could give Floyd some trouble in the ring, and I think he could do enough to deserve to win a decision. Lara doesn't do one thing spectacular, but he does a lot of things very well; plus his size and southpaw stance certainly work to his advantage as well.

The way Floyd's style has evolved doesn't suit him well in this matchup, I think he would need to use his feet a bit more than he has lately.

The below text was taken from the artcle here...

http://www.e@stsideboxing.com/news.php?p=32666&more=1

CIANI: Just to get your perspective on where Lara is right now, if he was to get an unlikely opportunity against pound-for-pound king Floyd Mayweather Junior, what would you think of his chances?

SHIELDS: Oh man! I would think his chances are like 70-30, with 70 being for him and 30 being for Floyd just for the simple reason that look. Floyd is a great fighter, but Floyd is a great fighter fighting guys like a Miguel Cotto, who’s past his prime, and like a too small guy like Marquez who he beat. Now look, Floyd is a good fighter but this is a different competition with Erislandy Lara. We’re talking about a bigger guy who’s just a natural 154 pounder. There is no way in the world in my heart I know that Floyd can beat a guy like Erislandy Lara, just for the simple reason that Lara is so much smarter than everybody Floyd has ever fought in his career. When you have that, and plus he’s a bigger guy and a stronger guy, I don’t see how Floyd would be able to keep him off of him.
                Fight would look like Mayweather-Judah except Floyd is more dominant in the early rounds due to the experience he now has against that kind of style.

Comment

That's true, I remember at Laras beginning with Golden Boy when he fought at some Floyds undercard I belive, hbo guys were talking how Oscar is excited about him. I'm sure his career would be in completely different place if Alvarez fought in different weight-class. The same can be said about Rigondeaux and Donaire. Those Cubans have no chance to ever bring really big money, so they are not priority if there's someone with bigger fanbase who can be promoted as well.
                  We are so few and outnumbered. :'(

But maybe he SHOULD go up to 160.

Comment

To be fair with them, no matter how much they would promote Lara, he'd never reach the level of recognition and following that Saul Alvarez has being Mexicos most popular fighter.
                    And Gamboa is 30 already and will continue his career fighting out of his natural weight-class. He'll never be as good at lightweight and higher as he was at 126, i don't see bright future for him.
                    Based on what? His height? Early in his career he was fighting at 130 so we dunno if his natural weight class is 126. And Gamboa I believe walks around 160 165 so I think he will do better than most think at 135. But its true him and Rigo are getting older. Lara is the younger one and thats who Golden Boy should be trying to raise as a superstar to pave the way.

Comment

Lara, Rigondeaux, and Gamboa are the Cuban monsters that lots of fighters avoid. Donaire is getting good fights now and winning them clearly. If HBO and Showtime show them more I think they will make money because they are exciting fighters to watch.Golden Boy should treat Lara better. I hope they get him good fights like Kirkland. It's clear they won't give him a fight with Canelo or they would have already done so.

Comment

Working...
                      X