Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who is going to be Goldenboy's Goldenboy Ortiz or Khan?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Prince Mongo View Post
    2 fights ago it was clear that Goldenboy's Goldenboy was Khan. He raised his profile with a super performance against Maidana.Ortiz eked out a draw with Lamont Peterson and seemed to be clinging on to his career by his fingernails. There was no question Ortiz was well below Khan in Goldenboy's pecking order.
    Then Goldenboy set up a sink or swim fight for Ortiz with the Berto bout and a nothing space filler nothing fight for Khan with the Paul McCloskey bout. The Ortiz/Berto fight turned out to be a great fight with Ortiz redeeming himself and Khan's stock dropped after an unsatisfactory controversial stoppage in a nothing fight. Team Khan seemed to be heavily involved in the negotiations and upset Eddie Hearn and hashed up the TV deal. I am sure Oscar can only take so much of Team Khan's antics and with Ortiz he does not have that kind of baggage.
    IMO the next fight the two fighters have will be critical in determining who is the priority fighter on Golden boy's books. Right now Amir is the main man but if his family continue to influence the fights he takes and continue low balling opponents I can see Oscar getting fed up and Ortiz if he keeps on winning he could end up as being Goldenboy's Goldenboy.
    What do you think?
    Khan's on the way down while Ortiz's on the way up.

Comment

I think the key is who can move up in weight more successfully. I'd say ortiz because he's American and can potentially be a bigger draw because of the Mexican fanbase. Maybe they can have two GBs: one for Europe and one for N America.

Comment

I think people are forgetting that Ortiz quit like a dog against Maidana, A guy that Khan beat in fight of the year, Granted Ortiz won the fight with Berto but it was sink or swim for Ortiz and if he lost that second chance at a world title then his career was over. Khan beat Ortiz in the amatuers and is already a world champion with several defences, Not only that he is on the verge of unifying the titles.

I think Khan is still the goldenboy the fact that Oscar chose to attend Khans fight over Ortiz fight shows that, Also Oscar gave Khan a new multi year deal to re sign before his McCloskey fight. The McCloskey fight was always meant to be stay busy fight I dont know the big deal.

People are forgetting that Ortiz quit against Maidana, Drew with Peterson because he beat Berto, If Khan beats Bradley he will have done a certain one-one-upmanship

Comment

Ortiz had it from the get go, but that lost from maidana slowed him down. He is the future for GBP. Everything bout him is ODH.

Comment

They should fight eachother. I believe ortiz would kill Con.

Comment

Ortiz. Khan's chin won't give him the longevity to be the Golden Boy.

Comment

The answer is obvious. We will know when they FIGHT each other.
                I feel that deep down Khan has the edge. While Ortiz is slowly gaining momentum of his own.

Comment

I can't see Khan lasting very long...Khan's shelf life will be much shorter than Ortiz's.

Comment

do you guys have a different outlook on khans potential career when you look at him wanting to retire at 28 (or something like that)??

Comment

Khan for now. Once Ortiz build his name farther, it'll be Ortiz.

Comment

Working...
                      X