Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What was your scorecard after 12 rounds in Leonard-Hearns 1???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What was your scorecard after 12 rounds in Leonard-Hearns 1???

This fight was scheduled for 15 rounds and Ray Leonard ended the fight via TKO in the 14th. What did your scorecard look like at the end of the 12th? The reason I ask this is because their second fight was only scheduled for 12 and ended in a draw.
    Last edited by Ve Ri Tas; 02-23-2013, 02:22 PM.

I don't think I've ever sat down and scored it, but Hearns was winning.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
      I don't think I've ever sat down and scored it, but Hearns was winning.
      I've seen the fight numerous times but like you, I've never scored it because I already knew the outcome. Was thinking about re-watching it today and scoring it up to that point.

Comment

My father used to always talk about this fight as being one of the great ones.

Comment

Hearns ahead (8-4? can't remember), but... let's not forget both fighters would have fought different had the fight been scheduled for 12.

Comment

They were much different fighters in the late 80s when they met again.

Hearns was definitely ahead by at least two rounds (7:5 or 7:4:1) after 12. He by large out fought Leonard early and out boxed him in the middle rouunds. But Leonard wasn't too far behind.....it looked rescuable to me if he were to have won rounds 13,14 and 15. As it happened, Leonard got the stoppage.

In fight 2 most rounds were quite even. Leonard again had a few issues with Hearn's reach but Hearns wasn't quite as defensively sharp as he had been. Hearns scored two knockdowns, but these were offset by very dominant rounds by Leonard in rounds 5 and 12. Leonard himself now conceeds that Hearns should have got the verdict.......but to my eyes a draw was quite a fair result.

Comment

Not to me, not with those 2 knockdowns. I don't feel those rounds were dominant enough to garner 10-8 scores for Leonard, at least not the final round. If at least that last round was just 10-9 Hearns could've at least won by 1 point. Hearns deserved that decision IMO.

Comment

Hearns by two.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
                  Not to me, not with those 2 knockdowns. I don't feel those rounds were dominant enough to garner 10-8 scores for Leonard, at least not the final round. If at least that last round was just 10-9 Hearns could've at least won by 1 point. Hearns deserved that decision IMO.

To be honest I didn't really rate the first knockdown though, I didn't feel that Hearns deserved to win that round 10:8, I probably wouldn't have called it if I were ref.

If you watch carefully, both connect with right hands; Hearn's is the better shot, Leonard backs up hurt but the follow up right hand doesn't make contact, it skims over his head but Leonard goes down from the momentum.

If anyone deserved that fight, it was Hearns. But it was razor close.

Comment

8-4 Hearns after 12 rounds!

Hearns clearly & easily won the 1st 6 rounds, then lost 7 & 8, then began boxing & moving & won 9 & 10, then lost the next 2, Hearns was too overconfident & ****y for his own good in this one, he definitely thought he was the superior fighter in this matchup, not giving Leonard enough respect or credit at the time & that was his biggest mistake, after dominating the 1st 6, Hearns left began to drop & just hang out there & he kept his right low, it was so easy for him, he became even more ****y & overconfident, & I believe Leonard to be the smarter fighter, because he saw Hearns lowing his arms & in the 7th attacked & caught him, Hearns did revert back to his Amateur days when he moved & jabbed & boxed, which in the Pros he had never had to do, & he outboxed Leonard, & although hurt in the last round, I believe he was not hurt enough to stop the fight, these were at the time, 2 of the greatest fighters in the game, you let it go, you let them fight until 1 of them gives up or hits the canvas, you don't jump in and stop it, when the guy is still moving his head & body to avoid punches, hurt yes, stopped, not yet, let it go & see if Leonard finishes him or if he survives to get the win..

Comment

Working...
                    X