Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was Pacquiao a Great Fighter Before 25?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was Pacquiao a Great Fighter Before 25?

Based on Mayweather's comments---he thinks Pacquiao was considered "Great" during his fights with Morales and onward...what are u thoughts?
    Last edited by rao007; 08-22-2011, 01:56 AM. Reason: A mistake

Originally posted by rao007 View Post
    what are u thoughts?
    my thoughts are that fighters don't just turn great at 25. nor do they turn great at 35 like Steroidgio Martinez.

Comment

Pacquiao was a world champion by the time Roach met him.

Comment

He was a good fighter when I first saw him live in 2001. He still has the same linear style that he had back then. He just has a few more weapons in his arsenal now.

Comment

Based on Mayweather's comments---he thinks Pacquiao was considered "Great" during his fights with Morales and onward...what are u thoughts?

Pac was a WBC champ and lineal champ at the age of 19, a 3 divisions champ and 2 divisions lineal champ at the age of 24! Amazing! Not to mention, he already went through 5 weight classes. Floyd saying Pacquaio was not great before the Morales fight was a pure jealousy.
          Last edited by straightleft; 08-22-2011, 04:52 AM.

Comment

He was already a world class fighter when Roach got him, he was a world class, dynamic slugger. He has evolved into a great all round fighter.

Not every fighter peaks at the same time, or matures at the same time, Pacquiao didn't have a decorated amateur career, or proper coaching that you would get in other countries as a youth boxer. He is god gifted, but has had to learn his craft on the job, mayweather was already a top fighter when he went pro, but not all top professionals have that same path to glory, manny is not the first guy. Lets not forget Bernard Hopkins lost his first professional fight, and Johnny Nelson lost his first 4 pro fights, both went on to become world champions, and had great careers relatively speaking of course.

I have to be honest...I am not sold either way on the Pacquiao PED issue, I am genuinely unsure. But what I can say is Mayweather's comments are the type of comment made by a narrow minded fool. Nothing more, nothing less. He is ignoring too many facts just to throw a statement like that out there, but I have come to expect his kind of idiocy from a Mayweather.

If you think the guy is juicing...fair enough, but to say that Manny has gone from some kind of average fighter, to an unstoppable whirl wind is ludicrous. He has always been a whirl wind, now he has way better technique, and throws more skillful punches, and is less wild. I am sorry but PED's don't do that. Is it surprising that he has carried the power and speed...absolutely, I guess that is the big point of argument, but it would be so disrespectful to not give Roach and Manny the credit they deserve, power and speed aside the guy is a much better fighter now.

Comment

Originally posted by sunny31 View Post
              He was already a world class fighter when Roach got him, he was a world class, dynamic slugger. He has evolved into a great all round fighter.

Not every fighter peaks at the same time, or matures at the same time, Pacquiao didn't have a decorated amateur career, or proper coaching that you would get in other countries as a youth boxer. He is god gifted, but has had to learn his craft on the job, mayweather was already a top fighter when he went pro, but not all top professionals have that same path to glory, manny is not the first guy. Lets not forget Bernard Hopkins lost his first professional fight, and Johnny Nelson lost his first 4 pro fights, both went on to become world champions, and had great careers relatively speaking of course.

I have to be honest...I am not sold either way on the Pacquiao PED issue, I am genuinely unsure. But what I can say is Mayweather's comments are the type of comment made by a narrow minded fool. Nothing more, nothing less. He is ignoring too many facts just to throw a statement like that out there, but I have come to expect his kind of idiocy from a Mayweather.

If you think the guy is juicing...fair enough, but to say that Manny has gone from some kind of average fighter, to an unstoppable whirl wind is ludicrous. He has always been a whirl wind, now he has way better technique, and throws more skillful punches, and is less wild. I am sorry but PED's don't do that. Is it surprising that he has carried the power and speed...absolutely, I guess that is the big point of argument, but it would be so disrespectful to not give Roach and Manny the credit they deserve, power and speed aside the guy is a much better fighter now.
              great post.

Comment

Pacquiao accomplishment before 25 is greater than Floyd accomplishment before 25. Take note, Pacquiao started from nothing while Floyd had a great amateur career with his uncle and father in side since he was a little kid.

Comment

Originally posted by boxer.exposed View Post
                  Pacquiao accomplishment before 25 is greater than Floyd accomplishment before 25. Take note, Pacquiao started from nothing while Floyd had a great amateur career with his uncle and father in side since he was a little kid.
                  Pacquiao had a 60-4 amateur record before turning Pro at 16...he was part of the National Amateur Team and was provided room and board by them...

Comment

Originally posted by RachelB View Post
                    Pacquiao had a 60-4 amateur record before turning Pro at 16...he was part of the National Amateur Team and was provided room and board by them...
                    Part of National Team? Where did you get that info?

Comment

Working...
                    X