No announcement yet.

Reps

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reps

Ive recently decided to give weightlifting a try. I understand for boxing you need medium weight and lots of reps. The problem is I dont know what a medium weight would be, and how many reps are considered more than lifting heavier weights.

i donno really you kinda just have to try lifting a couple times and if it feels too easy than add on a little at a time until you can feel resistance but still kinda easy to lift then lift it explosively. then for reps i have to feel it too. once i feel the burn i round whatever number im on to the nearest 5 and then thats my set rep and repeat that rep however many times i think is healthy you dont wanna way over work your muscles or its gunna be bad for you and if you go to boxing everday like me you wont be able to go for a couple days which is no bueno.

Comment

I dont box i just like to watch. Well actually my friends and i are going to get gloves and just fool around. Anyway how many time lifting would you consider a medium weight? If i can lift a weight a max 20 times is that medium?

Comment

Yes and no. If you can do it 20 times and only 20 times, then that's too much for "medium" weight. I, personally, would do say 100 lbs on the bench press. I know I max out at 145 about a month ago, so hopefully that'll give you an outlook on it.
        My personal favorite lift would have to be either cleans or power cleans. For Boxing I suppose power cleans would be the best overall workout, but I prefer cleans and later explosive squats.

Comment

I think it depends i do some lower explosvie reps for certain exersicse but higher reps on others. For push-press i do around 12 reps and go down to six. This has not slowed me down at all because its explosive and builds a little muscle but mostly works fast twitch fibers. On things like chest i do higher reps and more plyomertic and stability type exercies.

Comment

20 reps IS low weight. Too low. There's really no reason to do weights that low, since all that does is improve your muscular endurance a little bit. You'd be better off hitting the heavy bag and stuff like that for endurance.
            everything above 12 reps is for muscular endurance, and IMO really a waste of time for boxing. 6-12 reps is for adding on muscle, and below 6 is for maximum strength and, ultimately, power. Below six reps, you shouldn't put on too much weight, especially if you do boxing or oher kinds of aerobic workouts on the side.So if you want something out of weight training, you should go for heavy weights (70-95% of 1RM), low reps, to build your max strength and mix it up with lower weight (60-85%), still low reps (3-5) performed explosively, for speed and power. For example one heavy day and one dynamic day a week.

Comment

k thx for the imput.
              um last qus
              whats a pushpress?
              and whats a cleans thing?

Comment

Take a barbell and bend at your waist and sit down slighty and then exploded back up and lock the barbell out thats a push press.
                Last edited by Floydmayweather; 02-25-2005, 01:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Konstantin
                  Ive recently decided to give weightlifting a try. I understand for boxing you need medium weight and lots of reps. The problem is I dont know what a medium weight would be, and how many reps are considered more than lifting heavier weights.
                  for boxing u should be benchin your own weight atleast 20reps and like 50 sets
                  anythin less and ur a *****

Comment

Originally posted by Konstantin
                    k thx for the imput.
                    um last qus
                    whats a pushpress?
                    and whats a cleans thing?
                    The cleans are pretty simple, but they work you well. You'd do this standing up straight. You need a bench press barbell, and some weights. I'd start with a low weight (80lbs) to test and see how you do, then adjust accordingly. You'd start with the barbell at your waist, palms down. Then, trying not to bounce and use your legs, bring the barbell up to your shoulders. From there you just push up above your head, then back to the original position. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Comment

Working...
                    X