Collapse
No announcement yet.

Leonard v Hagler Who do you think won?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leonard v Hagler Who do you think won?

the judges said Leonard, do you agree?
    Leonard
    66.67%
    Hagler
    33.33%

Originally posted by House of Stone View Post

Yea Leonard.

It was Hagler's fault really for the following reasons:

His ego made him come out in the orthodox stance in a vain attempt to outbox Leonard. Crazy strategy, which cost him at least three of the first four rounds. Leonard only needed three more plus an even round in the following 8 rounds to get the decision.

His corner didn't read him the riot act in the final rounds of a close contest. Even the commentator (I think it was Gil Clancy) said that they were talking to him like it was an IBM meeting.

Even for those who felt that Hagler won, they have to admit that he looked old and slow. I can't think of a single round that he looked truely great in. Rounds 9 and 12 were probably his best......and even then he was hit by rapid combinations by Leonard after doing his best work.

He was made to look plodding and foolish at times with slow, wild misses. He even had problems getting off when Leonard was on the ropes, plus he did look like a bit of a goal keeper that night too......Leonard's accuracy was either superb or Hagler's defense was awful.

In short, Leonard won more rounds, scored more punches, scored the flashier combinations, displayed better defense, accuracy and ring generalship.

Hagler would have had a good chance in a return fight. With a better strategy, more pressure and no orthodox/slow start to the fight he'd probably be favoured.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
      Yea Leonard.

It was Hagler's fault really for the following reasons:

His ego made him come out in the orthodox stance in a vain attempt to outbox Leonard. Crazy strategy, which cost him at least three of the first four rounds. Leonard only needed three more plus an even round in the following 8 rounds to get the decision.

His corner didn't read him the riot act in the final rounds of a close contest. Even the commentator (I think it was Gil Clancy) said that they were talking to him like it was an IBM meeting.

Even for those who felt that Hagler won, they have to admit that he looked old and slow. I can't think of a single round that he looked truely great in. Rounds 9 and 12 were probably his best......and even then he was hit by rapid combinations by Leonard after doing his best work.

He was made to look plodding and foolish at times with slow, wild misses. He even had problems getting off when Leonard was on the ropes, plus he did look like a bit of a goal keeper that night too......Leonard's accuracy was either superb or Hagler's defense was awful.

In short, Leonard won more rounds, scored more punches, scored the flashier combinations, displayed better defense, accuracy and ring generalship.

Hagler would have had a good chance in a return fight. With a better strategy, more pressure and no orthodox/slow start to the fight he'd probably be favoured.
      I agree with this post 100%.

I have always said, Hagler lost the fight because of his ego and nothing more. He tried to do what he had done with Tommy, Mugabi and some others which was come out and fight the way they wanted him to simply to show he could beat them like that. It didn't work against Leonard.

Hagler didn't win the fight. No matter how many times I've scored it, and it's been a lot, and no matter how many times I've tried to give it to Hagler I can't. He just lost too many rounds in the boxing rules.

Every scoring consideration, he lost.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyST View Post
        I agree with this post 100%.

I have always said, Hagler lost the fight because of his ego and nothing more. He tried to do what he had done with Tommy, Mugabi and some others which was come out and fight the way they wanted him to simply to show he could beat them like that. It didn't work against Leonard.

Hagler didn't win the fight. No matter how many times I've scored it, and it's been a lot, and no matter how many times I've tried to give it to Hagler I can't. He just lost too many rounds in the boxing rules.

Every scoring consideration, he lost.

Thanks for the support Benny.

I'm expecting a Hagler fan backlash this evening when everyone gets home from work!!!

Hell, I'm a Hagler fan too. He could have won this one if he had his head screwed on!

Comment

hagler won this fight. i ALWAYS pick the boxer over the brawler, except in this case. for most of the fight leonard didnt box he ran, just circled hagler without throwing punches. when he did throw punches most of them didnt land and when they did they rarely landed flush and never with any effect.

haglers punches were acctually cleaner in addition to being harder and much more effective. hagler ****ed up, had he started faster he wouldve knocked leonard out. but he still won, it was close but he won.

Comment

Originally posted by House of Stone View Post
            Hagler. But I'm a huge hagler fan and a SRL hater so I'm biased. I'm not mad at 115-113 but 118-109 was UNBELIEVABLE bull**** of the highest order.

Fact is SRL won this fight the minute Hagler took a 50/50 split in nexchange for the larger ring. He had to know ring size was of primary importance.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Dunn View Post
              Hagler. But I'm a huge hagler fan and a SRL hater so I'm biased. I'm not mad at 115-113 but 118-109 was UNBELIEVABLE bull**** of the highest order.

Fact is SRL won this fight the minute Hagler took a 50/50 split in nexchange for the larger ring. He had to know ring size was of primary importance.

I think the bogus judge actually had it 118 110. But agreed, that wasn't a fair reflection of the fight.

Comment

Leonard IMO. As was said, Hagler gave away at least 3 of the opening 4 rounds with his stance. I felt Leonard was cruising for at least another couple of rounds.

Around the late-middle way point through the fight Hagler started to get the better of SRL, but I don't feel that was enough to merit a win.

Comment

I had Leonard ahead by two rounds.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
                    I think the bogus judge actually had it 118 110. But agreed, that wasn't a fair reflection of the fight.
                    Thanks for correction. I always believe Hagler won but there is no way I can view this match objectively.

Comment

Working...
                    X