No announcement yet.

Arguello

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arguello

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Alexis Arguello was favored in his first fight with Aaron Pryor. There was some controversy attached to that fight in regards to the infamous "black bottle" in Pryor's corner.

Considering this, did anybody here(or the odds) give Arguello a legitimate chance in the rematch?

Arguello was one of the hardest punchers pound for pound in history. Watching his fight with Pryor, it's hard to understand how Pryor took those flush punches.

I'm pretty sure Aaron Pryor was juicing. Unbelievable work rate, good physical strength, freakish chin and the dirtiest trainer in the history of boxing? There's smoke all over the place with him.

Comment

Pryor would easily hit 155lbs as a 40ty pounder, and Lexie fought about 8 times out of his 80+ bouts as a 140 pounder! He was a feather and lightweight the vast majority of his career!
      To the insiders the fight was an even contest with Lexie favored to control Pryor why his steady jab and beautifull right hand off it!
      Truth said Pryor beat up every soon to be star as an amatuer and no one really "enjoyed" fighting him. Unpredictable and amberdextious sp) he had alot of natural ability along with being awkward as hell! He was a nut!! Ray

Comment

Originally posted by BigStereotype View Post
        I'm pretty sure Aaron Pryor was juicing. Unbelievable work rate, good physical strength, freakish chin and the dirtiest trainer in the history of boxing? There's smoke all over the place with him.
        I don't doubt that at all. Although I'm not sure what type of PED's were used in the eighties.

Comment

In the eighties stimulants would be more a posibility than steroids. In this case perhaps, a probability.

Comment

Originally posted by TBear View Post
            In the eighties stimulants would be more a posibility than steroids. In this case perhaps, a probability.

Yes, that's what I've heard. I believe Panama Lewis claimed he gave Pryor something used as medication for asthma which worked as a stimulant to open the lungs. Of course, I'm not sure when Lewis is telling the truth and when he isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
              Yes, that's what I've heard. I believe Panama Lewis claimed he gave Pryor something used as medication for asthma which worked as a stimulant to open the lungs. Of course, I'm not sure when Lewis is telling the truth and when he isn't.
              Yeah, I couldn't imagine Pryor messin with any other type of stimulant. Clean living was so important back then.

Comment

Originally posted by BigStereotype View Post
                ^^^^^^^^^^^ This!

Comment

Thats the Champ at his best!! Look at those hooks come flying in!!

Comment

It's possible, but it's my belief that many don't want to give Aaron the credit for beating Alexis, who was a great fighter, but probably would be out of his league at 140 with the right fighter, Pryor being one of them.

Comment

Working...
                    X