What's greater for Cotto's legacy?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's greater for Cotto's legacy?

Simple question(s) with plenty of room for debate:

Would beating Mayweather and taking away his 0 be a bigger boost to Cotto's legacy; often regarded as one of the top 50 fighters of all time or

Avenging his brutal defeat at the hands of Manny Pacquiao, also regarded as one of the top 50 fighters of all time be a bigger boost to legacy.

Also, would losing to either in a highly competitive, maybe controversial, but ultimately fun fight also raise his stock historically

Discuss

*troll alert*Try to stay on topic please, I know its hard and I realize that its most likely a forgone conclusion that Mayweather will win, but do your best
    Taking Money's 0 away
    71.79%
    Avenging his loss to Pacquaio
    15.38%
    A compelling and competitive fight with either will raise his stock
    10.26%
    I saw baby jesus appear in my dreams. Werd!
    2.56%

Either or would do the trick

Comment

Originally posted by JmH Reborn View Post
      Simple question(s) with plenty of room for debate
      Would beating Mayweather and taking away his 0 be a bigger boost to Cotto's legacy; often regarded as one of the top 50 fighters of all time or

Avenging his brutal defeat at the hands of Manny Pacquiao, also regarded as one of the top 50 fighters of all time be a bigger boost to legacy.
      probably taking mayweather's 0. its close though.

Also, would losing to either in a highly competitive, maybe controversial, but ultimately fun fight also raise his stock historically
      yes.

Comment

Unequivocally Mayweather.

After Pac winning by a short and curly against JMM, we wouldnt expect it, but it wouldnt be out of this world for Cotto to bring a different game to Pac.

On the flip.. Cotto beating by Floyd... Either A) he outboxes Floyd, which is absolutely ludicrous... Or B) he knocks him out, which would send shockwaves.

Comment

Originally posted by reedickyaluss View Post

After Pac winning by a short and curly against JMM, we wouldnt expect it, but it wouldnt be out of this world for Cotto to bring a different game to Pac.

On the flip.. Cotto beating by Floyd... Either A) he outboxes Floyd, which is absolutely ludicrous... Or B) he knocks him out, which would send shockwaves.
          Hahhahaa so true. I feel like one should be slapped for thinking it.

Comment

Originally posted by reedickyaluss View Post

Do you believe that in the event that Cotto wins, that many will attribute it to Floyd's age, inactivity (realizing that he fought last Sept, but a 4 rounder exhibition) thus minimizing the win?

And yes, I'm voting for taking the 0

Comment

I think beating Floyd, because the surprise.

There is another reason though, a lot in the boxing community have been hoping for his downfall or atleast to get taken down a notch that whoever managed to do it would just mean so much.

Just look at JLC, he had a awesome run and lots of memorable moments but really what do people always talk about in regards to him, that he gave Floyd a really good fight and could have won. Similar to JMM, but JMM is not near as celebrated as JLC for his near victory at least that is how it looks to me.

Comment

Originally posted by JmH Reborn View Post
                Do you believe that in the event that Cotto wins, that many will attribute it to Floyd's age, inactivity (realizing that he fought last Sept, but a 4 rounder exhibition) thus minimizing the win?

And yes, I'm voting for taking the 0
                Nobody can say that before seeing the fight.

Sometimes people say things like oh you changed your stance after the fi happens... Well sometimes that happens because things happen in real time that make you realize things are in reality are different.

If Floyd LOOKS old, noticebly slower, looks tired and just off, you would start thinking 35years old is 35 years old... But if hes not.. If he still looks sharp and quick but Cotto is bringing a new level of pressure with timing and power and hes simply doing more than Floyd.. Then no I wouldnt really attribute it to age.

Although weight could be a factor.. The only time hes fought at 154, the fight was relatively close... But Oscar has much more size then Cotto.

Comment

Beating Mayweather.

Comment

Taking Money's 0 is ptobably the biggest thing anyone could do from 160 on down.

Comment

Working...
                    X