No announcement yet.

Hardest punching lightweights

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hardest punching lightweights

This list is not about who scored more kos at 135, but who punched hardest at this weight.

1. Edwin Valero
    2. Ike Williams
    3. Edwin Rosario
    4. Joe Gans
    5. Diego Corrales
    6. Alexis Arguello
    7. Oscar De La Hoya
    8. Benny Leonard
    9. Roberto Duran
    10. Ray Mancini
    11. Jose Luis Ramirez
    12. Rafael Ruelas
    13. Orzubek Nazarov
    14. Shane Mosley
    15. Julio Cesar Chavez
    16. Jose Luis Castillo
    17. Carlos Ortiz

List is incomplete, I may add more names later on. Its the first draft.
    Last edited by Pastrano; 09-20-2011, 05:05 PM.

Originally posted by Pastrano View Post
    This list is not about who scored more kos at 135, but who punched hardest at this weight.

1. Edwin Valero
    2. Ike Williams
    3. Edwin Rosario
    4. Joe Gans
    5. Diego Corrales
    6. Roberto Duran
    7. Oscar De La Hoya
    8. Benny Leonard
    9. Julio Cesar Chavez
    10. Ray Mancini
    11. Jose Luis Ramirez
    12. Rafael Ruelas
    13. Orzubek Nazarov
    14. Shane Mosley
    15. Jose Luis Castillo
    16. Carlos Ortiz

List is incomplete, I may add more names later on. Its the first draft.
    Here's someone you missed...... KO terror of the LW's. LEW JENKINS....#1. Jenkins dropping Lou Ambers..... #2. Cartoon of the Armstrong V Jenkins fight....#3.Lew Jenkins portrait.

Comment

Originally posted by McGoorty View Post
      Here's someone you missed...... KO terror of the LW's. LEW JENKINS....#1. Jenkins dropping Lou Ambers..... #2. Cartoon of the Armstrong V Jenkins fight....#3.Lew Jenkins portrait.
      Aye Jenkins wasn't much of a boxer but his power was something to be feared, shame there is no footage of him though.

Comment

Here's the best we can do mate, newspapers and magazines and books, here's some links to some Jenkins fights... http://news.google.com/newspapers?sa...z7BQxCiwo6_jDw http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...+jenkins&hl=en http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...RLvhhNFohhvF3w http://www.google.com/url?url=http:/...z4aZwpZUYyu10A http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...Da0gu7Zj6kaCoA http://www.google.com/url?url=http:/...Muo4C7KxC2EzEA http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...YiTnv8JgGuTv3w

Comment

Whats funny is that if you look at all the greatest lightweights of the 80's, there were quite many outstanding fighters but not many with ko power. Pazienza, Haugen, Camacho, Whitaker-none had the big punch. Mancini was a hard hitter, still not a one punch ko artist. Only Rosario could be called a PURE puncher.

Comment

valero? really?

he had three fights at the full LW limit if i remember correctly

and his best opposition was antonio demarco, who took his best punches for 9 rounds.

in the gym, the guy landed some hellish shots

check out his gym//sparring stoppage of urbano antillon to see a perfectly timed combination

but cmon, bro

this is a deep historic division
            and look at how little valero did.

Comment

Originally posted by McGoorty View Post
              One of the first names that came to mind when i saw the title, Jenkins was not only a banger he was a nutter! I rate Mosley's lightweight power, certainly over a Rueles

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
                valero? really?

he had three fights at the full LW limit if i remember correctly

and his best opposition was antonio demarco, who took his best punches for 9 rounds.

in the gym, the guy landed some hellish shots

check out his gym//sparring stoppage of urbano antillon to see a perfectly timed combination

but cmon, bro

this is a deep historic division
                and look at how little valero did.
                Once again, its not about how much anyone did, but who punched hardest. 18 kos in the 1st round straight, I'd say that entitles him to be nr.1, or at least nr.2, even if not all those kayos came at lightweight.

Comment

Originally posted by Pastrano View Post
                  Once again, its not about how much anyone did, but who punched hardest. 18 kos in the 1st round straight, I'd say that entitles him to be nr.1, or at least nr.2, even if not all those kayos came at lightweight.

they were almost all between 130 and 135. jr featherweight. (most importantly jr FW opponents.)

he had 3 fights at the full LW limit and none above it.

if you're taking about his run of first round stoppages he didn't have a single one of those at LW or against LW's

his biggest opponent was 133 during that run

at his smallest (early in his career) he was a FW fighting FW's

he was a terrific talent, certainly. no dispute. and he could bang.
                  i was pretty high on his boxing skills more than his brute power (especially as he fought bigger and better men)

but he's got almost no work at LW. and what he does have is not of any historic significance. you understand why that shouldn't put him in the discussion, right? accomplishments aside, those three opponents don't give you close to enough to go on. he fought no other lightweights.

and finally, on sight alone, his power punches were not even in the same league as oscar de la hoya at LW (to pick one of my favorite lightweights, and only for the sake of argument. i'm not saying nobody punched harder than oscar at LW.)

that man had true one punch power at LW
                  his left hook was the most significant of every fight he was ever in until he moved to WW. only at WW could a man sustain that blow

antonio demarco took a bunch of valero's best shots. yeah, he wasn't as aggressive as expected, but many of his fights around that time saw demarco boxing and being less aggressive than he had been early in his career.
                  demarco was his best LW opponent, and would be your best chance to evaluate valero's punching power at lw.

he would have gotten his face ripped apart if oscar hit him like that.

curiously, is your list in order?

maybe its the number one thing that is getting to me
                  but i don't get how you get such a heavy reputation as a historic great LW puncher with only 3 fights at LW with your best opponent being antonio demarco (who was retired on his stool and never even knocked off his feet.)
                  Last edited by New England; 09-20-2011, 05:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
                    they were almost all between 130 and 135. jr featherweight. (most importantly jr FW opponents.)

he had 3 fights at the full LW limit and none above it.

if you're taking about his run of first round stoppages he didn't have a single one of those at LW or against LW's

his biggest opponent was 133 during that run

at his smallest (early in his career) he was a FW fighting FW's

he was a terrific talent, certainly. no dispute. and he could bang.
                    i was pretty high on his boxing skills more than his brute power (especially as he fought bigger and better men)

but he's got almost no work at LW. and what he does have is not of any historic significance. you understand why that shouldn't put him in the discussion, right? accomplishments aside, those three opponents don't give you close to enough to go on. he fought no other lightweights.

and finally, on sight alone, his power punches were not even in the same league as oscar de la hoya at LW (to pick one of my favorite lightweights, and only for the sake of argument. i'm not saying nobody punched harder than oscar at LW.)

that man had true one punch power at LW
                    his left hook was the most significant of every fight he was ever in until he moved to WW. only at WW could a man sustain that blow

antonio demarco took a bunch of valero's best shots. yeah, he wasn't as aggressive as expected, but many of his fights around that time saw demarco boxing and being less aggressive than he had been early in his career.
                    demarco was his best LW opponent, and would be your best chance to evaluate valero's punching power at lw.

he would have gotten his face ripped apart if oscar hit him like that.

curiously, is your list in order?

maybe its the number one thing that is getting to me
                    but i don't get how you get such a heavy reputation as a historic great LW puncher with only 3 fights at LW with your best opponent being antonio demarco (who was retired on his stool and never even knocked off his feet.)
                    You mentioned depth....... AD WOLGAST hit pretty hard,,, KO's Owen MORAN, Wolgast portrait.... Battling Nelson V Abe Attell.....Wolgast Vs Battling Nelson............

Comment

Working...
                    X