Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: “Fighting Words” – Timothy Bradley-Devon Alexander: You Always Pay To Win; Sometimes You Lose

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: “Fighting Words” – Timothy Bradley-Devon Alexander: You Always Pay To Win; Sometimes You Lose

by David P. Greisman - The whole is not always greater than the sum of the parts. Sometimes the sum of the parts is indeed greater than the whole.

That would be an unfortunate truth in Saturday’s fight between Timothy Bradley and Devon Alexander.

The bout turned out to be a struggle between what each boxer wanted to do and what he would actually be able to do.

It proved to be a conflict between expectations and reality.

It wound up with an imbalance between what people paid for and what they received.

You pay to win, but that is never a guarantee. As my father reminded me every time a scratch-off lottery ticket failed to reveal winning numbers – you play to lose.

Everyone lost on Saturday.

Bradley and Alexander, as two of the top three boxers in the junior-welterweight division, were fighting for the right to be called the consensus No. 1 man at 140 pounds. The winner would have momentum carrying him toward a clash with the other of the three, Amir Khan. And the victor of that bout would be seen as the undisputed champion. The loser could take some consolation were he to be competitive in defeat.

HBO had paid a few million dollars and received a major fight with multiple natural storylines. The network had reportedly given itself a contractual option for a rematch and also had guaranteed money for subsequent HBO fights for both Bradley and Alexander. And after paying considerable cash to build Amir Khan, HBO had all three top junior welterweights to put its marketing muscle behind.

Promoters Gary Shaw and Thompson Boxing (Bradley) and Don King (Alexander) had put their fighters in the toughest matches of their careers, hoping for their guy to win and to become more of a star (and, hence, make them more money) – but also taking the chance that their guy would lose his world title and, hence, lose some luster.

The fight wasn’t good.

Such an outcome had been possible. Bradley is orthodox, a right-handed fighter. Alexander is a southpaw, a left-handed fighter. Such a pairing alone can lead to heads clashing accidentally. Throw in Bradley’s propensity for leading with his head, and the likelihood of ugliness became even greater. [Click Here To Read More]

oh what a clever pun at the end! what a clever play on words. damn, the boxing writers are declining just as fast as boxers these days. . . candid effort, at least. . .

Comment

BIG BAD BOOTY DADDY! hahahaha. why do you get to post all these articles?

Comment

This fight was pathetic. Thats all there is to it.

Comment

As I read this very over-dramatic article I seriously have to ask this question. Who honestly thought this fight was going to be a war?

Lmao Look at the styles and get your facts straight people.

Every pre-fight interview, he'd say "this is just another fight to me, that's all". That was a dead give-away that he was going to fight this fight like he does every fight. Alexander is an outside fighter, and unlike Khan (also an outside fighter), knows how to clinch on the inside, and does every time. All that does is suck the action out of a fight.

And Bradley, unlike Kotelnik and Maidana, is too short and far from powerful enough to force Alexander into a fight. If he had longer arms, it would've looked just like Alexander vs Kotelnik, only better becuz its Bradley.

Despite not being GREAT at everything, its really amazing to know how GOOD Bradley has to be at everything to pull out victories like this, be they entertaining or otherwise.

Comment

theres something RIDICULOUS about boxing coverage these days. And the "fans" who know NOTHING. This was NEVER going to be a great fight. EVER. Furthermore, these two were both massively overrated; and I said that months ago. Khan shuts Bradely out. The guy has nothing to trouble him with, except his head.

Comment

Boxing writers are going way too far with this. The fight was not an epic Hagler-Hearns type of battle, sure, but it was far from a terrible fight. Alexander was staying away and trying to box which definitely stalled the action, but Timmy didnt really stop coming after him. There was a great deal of conflict, and a lot of good boxing on display. The ending was disappointing, sure, but the fight itself was as good as anyone who knows boxing should have expected.

Comment

i wanna puke when u call him timmy.most of the great fighters are gone, now we hav slicksters, dodgers, good to great boxers but few real fighters.

Comment

This fight lived DOWN to my expectations . Two feather fisted loud mouths , easily put out to pasture by ANY of the elite fighters of thier class .

Comment

bradley and alexander need to schedule new fights to erase the bad memory this fight has on people.

Comment

Working...
                    X