So, I was making NFL power rankings..

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, I was making NFL power rankings..

...and got to thinking about something.

From a skill/statistical standpoint, discounting things like home town fighter, judges, ref, etc., if you were to make your own set of "power rankings" for professional boxers, which categories would you apply the most weight?

For instance, in NFL, you might use strength of schedule, and margin of victory.

Maybe something like strength of opponents, based on who the opponents fought (maybe even narrow it to last 3 fights)? Accuracy? KO%? Just kind of digging for some ideas.

stupid phaggot

Comment

Originally posted by Hiei View Post
      stupid phaggot
      I already thought of that, but it just doesn't seem like it's that important.

Thank you for your input.

Comment

I like strength of opp the best...... No matter your fighting style as long as you get the W that's the most important

Everything else you could probably factor in but what should hold the most weight is your opposition

Comment

Margin of victory/defeat.(points on the cards)
          Combined opponents record.
          Total rounds won in championship fights.
          +/- of punches landed compared to the opponent.

I really don't know what else

Comment

Have you ever looked at BoxRec's ratings system? They rank on a points system very similar to what you're talking about. I don't have enough patience to read through and understand what they are talking about but if you haven't seen this here it is:

http://boxrec.com/media/index.php/Bo...gs_Description

Comment

Good ideas, guys. Thanks for the responses.

No, I hadn't looked at Boxrec for this. But I definitely read through that. Thanks.

Comment

I would use the same criteria I use for p4p rankings. Who they beat, how they won, what skills they have, the same things we consider when arguing about p4p.

P4P basically is boxing's power rankings, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
                  I would use the same criteria I use for p4p rankings. Who they beat, how they won, what skills they have, the same things we consider when arguing about p4p.

P4P basically is boxing's power rankings, I think.
                  I had thought of this, originally. But I'm looking for more than just the eye test. Every edge I find, in every sport, I find based on numbers. Except for boxing. I just take what I know...or, what I THINK I know, and bet accordingly.

Comment

Originally posted by johnm is... View Post
                    I had thought of this, originally. But I'm looking for more than just the eye test. Every edge I find, in every sport, I find based on numbers. Except for boxing. I just take what I know...or, what I THINK I know, and bet accordingly.
                    Hard to do just numbers for boxing, because there aren't many stats involved. I saw +/- get mentioned, but that's about it and that doesn't take into account who the opponent was.

Comment

Working...
                    X