Collapse
No announcement yet.

Duran vs Buchanan: Was Foul Cry a Hoax?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duran vs Buchanan: Was Foul Cry a Hoax?

I have played this video (and others) in real time and slow motion repeatedly, and to this day I have yet to see the alleged low blow that felled Buchanan. I'm not suggesting the scot was faking it, but could he have simply succumbed to the cumulative effect of Duran's punches, rather than a single shot to the groin?

In knee-jerk reacting fashion, people first refered to the shot Ali decked Liston with as a "phantom punch." Well, it happened in such a flash, one could miss it while blinking, but in slow mo, the impact is clearly revealed. The same can't be said of Duran's alleged foul, which if seen by the ref could have disqualified him.

If anyone has or can find a video that clearly shows Duran's low blow landing, please post it.

[vbtube]0RzLqn9Uqto[/vbtube]
    Last edited by Panamaniac; 12-20-2012, 12:25 AM.

It's gotta be somewhere. When I watched it on TV, you could clearly see it was low, but not exactly where he hit him. Buchanan got testicular surgery after the fight, so it was definitely real.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
      It's gotta be somewhere. When I watched it on TV, you could clearly see it was low, but not exactly where he hit him. Buchanan got testicular surgery after the fight, so it was definitely real.
      Fascinating... I think it's reasonable to assume that any blow capable of inflicting that much damage should be clearly visible. Furthermore, isn't a groin guard (see figure below) designed to obsorb most of the impact of such a blow, thereby limiting it's severity?

Comment

Somewhere, in some highlight vid, I saw an HD shot of the KO from the corner to the fighters' left. It caught him so flush in the balls I actually had to pause the video to laugh. It was like a Looney Toons KO man. I'll see if I can find the video.

Comment

Looks low to me.

Comment

The look on Buchannan's face says it all to me. I've always been convinced that he wasn't faking or exaggerating.

Comment

Originally posted by Panamaniac View Post
              Fascinating... I think it's reasonable to assume that any blow capable of inflicting that much damage should be clearly visible. Furthermore, isn't a groin guard (see figure below) designed to obsorb most of the impact of such a blow, thereby limiting it's severity?

I guess so, but apparently in Buchanan's case, not enough.

Comment

No doubt about it that was a LOW BLOW! Ken was still complaining about it last time i saw him lol
                Ruptured his nuts i believe is the medical term!

Comment

the injury was legit.

I was spoke to Ken about 3 years ago and he said he still feels the effects of the injury everytime he goes for a piss and even admitted similar to Duran at a public function they attended.

Buchanan ended up with a ruptured bollock.

Comment

Originally posted by Panamaniac View Post

If you've been in the ring, you know that there is only so much protection a groin protector can offer. And I'd suspect that they weren't as well-engineered in the seventies as they are today.

Buchanan had testicular surgery; to suggest that it was a result of cumulative shots to the abdomen is absurd. It was a low-blow after the bell. Duran should have been disqualified.

Comment

Working...
                    X