No announcement yet.

How does Joe Louis compare to the rest my heavyweight idols

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shadeyfizzle View Post
    They didnt call it bum of the month club for no reason.
    I can't believe I'm having to refute this drivel AGAIN

"The Bum-Of-The-Month Club" consisted specifically of 13 opponents fought over 29 months between January 1939 and May 1941. Of those 13 "bums" only a small number constituted actual "bums": Most were top-10 opponents and one was the reigning Light-Heavyweight champ.

Poet

Comment

he is either 1 or 2, no less

Comment

Only person above him for me is Ali

Comment

Agree with what most folks are saying, 1-2 Heavyweight ATG.

It's more complicated when you go into the eras but the Brown Bomber set the foundation for greatness in the heavyweight division. No one can mention the best without mentioning Joe Louis. Big respect, just wish i'd been alive to witness it all.

Comment

He held the heavyweight championship for 13 years. He is the greatest heavyweight champion of all time!

Comment

infact, i'm reading that it was 11 years. Which is still an astronomical feat!

Comment

Originally posted by kendom View Post
                A 21 year old Louis was prime?

AS for the answer to the question I rate him 1 but he is usually rated at between 1-2 on most historians lists
                When would you consider his prime then? When he was getting outboxed for 14rds by the light heavyweight champion and showing how incredibly slow and plodding he was for barely over 200lbs??? Or when he was getting beaten to a pulp by marciano???

Comment

Working...
                X