No announcement yet.

So any Satyajit Ray fans in here?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So any Satyajit Ray fans in here?

I first became aware of this guy when Wazaa and 2Tough pmed me, telling me to take a look at the works of their Uncle.

The guy directed 37 movies, so I'm still a total novice when it comes to his work, as I've just seen the Apu Trilogy alone. I took a look at it as I saw it in a list of critically acclaimed films, and while sometimes they leave you wondering how they ever got so praised (is La Règle du jeu really all that?) in lots of cases you can appreciate their value.

This one is pure goodness all the way through: shot in natural light, with stunning shot compositions, it's got a Mise-en-scène that will not only do you up the pap, but it'll offer you a reach around at the same time.

Coming from a socio-realist period of Indian filmmaking, there's even a devastatingly witty bit in the third film where the two lead characters go to the cinema to see a typical Indian film, which is a proper piss-take of that fare.

As this is an Eastern film, the messages in it are understated and may need to worked at, the narrative keen to unfold at its own pace. As a result, some American posters may get confused when the film doesn't end with someone overweight going "yo... the moral of dis story... what I freakin' learned from all dis..." and you might also get a nosebleed when it doesn't rigidly adhere to a formulaic three-act structure. But it's worth it.

Comment

so wait?

they made a movie about the store owner from the Simpsons?

that's got flop written all over it.

Comment

I think the Simpsons did that as a homage, though I'm not certain.

Comment

i think the apu trilogy film of his i watched

Comment

I'm thinking of watching all of this guy's stuff.

No other fans here?

Comment

I enjoy your film threads, Annie. If you can make a thread on Luis Bunuel, Daivd Lynch, and Surrealism in films, I would cream my pants.

Comment

Working...
              X