No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Broner vs. Abril in Talks For February 16th on HBO

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
    If Broner indeed takes on Abril, then I can see him making his way through the division. That would be refreshing: take on all comers.
    Hopefully.... Weight jumping is in..... We'll see

Comment

• Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
      Once again, the world champions at 135 besides Broner are:

Miguel Vasquez
      Ricky Burns
      Richard Abril (assuming he gets recognition as full champion by the WBA)

Vasquez is with Top Rank so that is not a realistic possibility for a Golden Boy fighter. But Broner wants to fight Abril then Burns.

What more can you ask of him at lightweight?

Only a hater with an agenda would criticize a man for wiping out an entire division.
      He isn't....

Comment

• Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
        Hard for me to opine about the Lundy fight, since I haven't seen it. But I've heard from a couple of sources, including the member "New England", who was at the fight, that Abril should've gotten the nod. (It's very difficult to find any footage on Abril.) The Rios fight, on the other hand, I did see. As is commonly known, that fight was highway robbery. So, for all intents and purposes, Richard has two losses, one of which is questionable. He's not a "bum".
        I know you're just defended your fellow latino. but Abril is a bum. He lost to Lundy doesn't matter if he should of gotten the nod, Lundy should of gotten the nod against Beltran too, and sure Abril could have gotten the nod against Rios, but outside of a couple flurries and a few potshots, Abril had a lot of moments of inactivity, unlike Rios, I had it closer to a draw. It's no different from the Pacquiao lost to Bradley of or Mosley win over Mora, being inactive boxing and looking flashy just doesn't convince some judges especially if your name isn't Floyd Mayweather, judges don't give guys like Abril the benefit of the doubt.

Comment

• Originally posted by PBP View Post
          The Prescott loss was questionable too. Like someone else said, he could easily be 20-0. Besides, triangle theories don't work in boxing and I am shocked that people still use them to try and make a point. Fact is, Broner has never faced a fighter like Abril and Abril has never faced a fighter like Broner. That's what makes this matchup so intriguing.
          The scores were..... The decision wasn't imo

Comment

The Prescott loss was questionable too. Like someone else said, he could easily be 20-0. Besides, triangle theories don't work in boxing and I am shocked that people still use them to try and make a point. Fact is, Broner has never faced a fighter like Abril and Abril has never faced a fighter like Broner. That's what makes this matchup so intriguing.
            Well he ain't 20-0 and the whole theory of "he never faced anyone like __" was pretty much put to bed when Broner demolished Demarco who was coming off some decent KO wins and the same thing was said. Broner is not losing at 135 but I think he will have difficulty hanging with the elite at 140..

Comment

• Originally posted by MJ223 View Post
              Was hoping for Vazquez..... But Team Broner could have done worse... So hey
              Richard Schaefer said something about Vasquez turning down $350k for that fight in a recent article. But this is the same guy that justified Canelo vs Josesito so anything he says should be taken with a grain of salt I guess.

Comment

• Originally posted by Realizniguhnit View Post
                you don't break your thoughts down properly. You bring up Eloy Perez who Broner KTFO for gawd sake, who cares what Eloy did in a couple feeling out rds he got KTFO at the end of the day. If Eloy is your best example of Broner's flaws that's sad, and to counter that my best example is Lundy already beat Abril, and Broner is younger, stronger, and faster than Lundy. Broner walks down his opponents often because he is a boxer-puncher but that doesn't mean he's not versatile or dynamic, If walking down is working why fix it so far it got Broner 21 KO out of 25 fights.
                Wasnt no feeling out rounds, Broner didnt land anything on him because he kept moving! And in one round, Broner didnt land anything at all! His punches are too telegraphable for a defensive fighter! He winds up and throws full power! I never said that Broner should stop walking guys down! What I said is, based on what I've seen of him, thats all I think he can do! No if Eloy was a small guy who had just enough defense to make it ugly, then Abril, is going to do worse, because of his height and reach! And Broner's flatfooted, and short, and can easily get dominated! I break down everything I say! All u can say is "Lundy, Abril, Lundy, Abril" Your going to have to come correct in this boxing game, go somewhere with the triangle theories! I used eloy, because he so damn small, imagine what Abril gonna do when he capitalize on the footwork, and height and reach advantages! Your a Broner groupie, and you get butt hurt when someone says Broner will lose! Look how many comments you posted to me, you even started double posting! Get over it bro, Im just not changing my mind, deal with it.

Comment

Richard Schaefer said something about Vasquez turning down $350k for that fight in a recent article. But this is the same guy that justified Canelo vs Josesito so anything he says should be taken with a grain of salt I guess.
                  Haven't seen it..... But grain of salt indeed

Comment

I suppose so. I didn't see the Prescott fight, either. But it was also a split decision, with scores almost identical to the Lundy fight. On both occasions, one judge had the fight somewhat wide for the winner, while the other two had it razor-thin close.

And you're right. Neither Abril nor Broner have ever fought someone like each other. It will be interesting if it ever goes down.

Comment

• Originally posted by Realizniguhnit View Post
                      Well he ain't 20-0 and the whole theory of "he never faced anyone like __" was pretty much put to bed when Broner demolished Demarco who was coming off some decent KO wins and the same thing was said. Broner is not losing at 135 but I think he will have difficulty hanging with the elite at 140..
                      DeMarco and Abril fight nothing alike. So "they never faced anyone like ....." is a fact not a theory.

I agree Broner cleans out 135. But Abril is a risky opponent and team Broner deserves major props for taking this fight and it will be a good win on his resume. It's a damn shame that we have a young fighter seeking to take on the toughest challenges in his division and people still *****, complain and downplay his opposition.

Abril is a good test for him. Give Broner some damn credit.

Comment

Working...
                      X