Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is considered a boxing town???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How about this. Im from san jose ca, they have small shows ocassionaly. Nothing big. Biggest card ive seen put on here was andre ward's 13th fight against some scrub, co heaslined by antillon vs bobby pacquiao.

But there are 4 boxing gyns, 2dozen mma gyms that also teach boxing, and I have some buddies that teach boxing at local rec centers to at-risk kids. So a very substancial percentage of the population has some degree of boxing training. Would we be considered a boxing town??

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by F l i c k e r View Post
        Sinaloa Mexico.
        Thats a state bro but a couple of years ago, a city in Sinaloa called Los Mochis would rival any of the usual mexican boxing cities like mexico city, guadalajara or tijuana. It produced the likes of humberto soto, the arce brother, the montiel family, soto karass brothers, all of which have seen better days but also have a couple of up and comers.

Comment

A boxing town is a place that has cards, that not only attract large crowds, but where you can feel a tangible buzz in the arena and leading up to the fight.

Montreal
          Manchester
          Los Angeles

Comment

Caguas is home to the Bairoa Gym, one of the most important*boxing gyms*in allPuerto Rico.

Comment

been to fights in Puerto Rico, NY, Las Vegas, Atlantic City & Miami. All atract great crowds but if I was to pick top amongst them, Imma say Vegas & the weakest is Miami. I was impressed with New York though. The Garden was a great atmosphere leading up to the Cotto-Margarito II fight.

Comment

so to answer the TS question, I go by fan support, attraction, IQ towards the sport and the atmosphere they give towards the fights and cards.

Comment

Originally posted by shadeyfizzle View Post
                  Vegas is considered by many the boxing capital of the world but to my knowledge there's only 2 boxing gyms there and 1 of them is private.(excuse me if this wrong)
                  I went to watch boxing while in Vegas thinking one of the big hotels sports bars would be screening it and none of them were. They were showing some bouncyball game instead.

Honestly, I don't think there is such a thing as a boxing town. Maybe somewhere in Cuba or Mexico but probably not even then. Team sports take precedence almost everywhere.
                  Last edited by Weebler I; 03-30-2012, 10:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X