No announcement yet.

How Skilled Was Mike Tyson?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by res View Post
    Tyson DID NOT keep up the same head movement for 10 or 12 rounds. As one of the other posters mentioned, it was reduced significantly after about round 5. Something you have to remember about Tyson is that his defense and his offense were inextricable (that's how the peekaboo style works) so if his offense slows down his defense will. The Bobbing and weaving is not just a a defensive tool but also assisted his offense setting him up for shots.
    Can add to power as well, probably why he doesn't have a ton of KOs after round 5. Mike was definitely skilled, but I think carrying that much muscle on such a small frame, it's hard to keep up the intensity for 12 rounds (the way say Joe Frazier used to do.) And if someone is able to weather the early storm, Tyson was beatable, even in his (rather short) prime.

Comment

Originally posted by Mintcar923 View Post
      He was far more skilled than a Frazier, Louis or Marciano..
      No man in history is 'far more skilled' than Louis.

He could do everything you could want from a boxer. More than Tyson.

Comment

Originally posted by Capaedia View Post

Tyson had a greater skill set than Louis.

Comment

Originally posted by CarlosG815 View Post
          Tyson had a greater skill set than Louis.
          What could Tyson do that Louis couldn't?

Actually, what couldn't Louis do?

Comment

Originally posted by zab191 View Post
            Early Tyson using Peek-a-boo technique was a beast he had everything combinations, defense, head movement, power, speed and discipline. This Tyson would have beaten Ali, Foreman, Liston, Marciano and anyone else you want throw into the mix.

If Cus did not drop dead and Don King got involved Tyson would have retired undefeated.
            Well I don't know about undefeated, but I do agree he would have had a greater career had Tyson at least stayed with Kevin Rooney and not listened to Don King's BS. Tyson later in life even seemed to regret going with King, because of all the money he promised, some of which was not delivered, according to Tyson. Guy still had a hell of a career, but yeah, I agree would have been even greater if he had stayed with Rooney. The only guy I could see MAYBE beating Tyson then would be a prime Holyfield, possibly Bowe, if he's in shape and trains hard, like he did for the first Holyfield fight where he won the title. I'd say Tyson would have had maybe one loss at the most with Rooney, just my opinion though.

Comment

I think the Buster Douglas who beat Tyson.....beats any version of Tyson.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
                Well I wouldn't watch heavy bag training to determine any fighter's skills. I'm not implying that Mike was unskilled. But to say he was "far more skilled" than Joe Louis, or even Marciano or Frazier, sounds ridiculous to me. Maybe if you saw them hitting a heavybag you'd be more impressed?
                You CAN assess how a fighter puts combinations together by watching them hit the heavybag. And furthermore, you CAN tell how skilled a fighter is by watching the first 40+ fights of their career. Louis and Marciano did not have the natural skill or reflexes of a prime Tyson. They couldn't quite bob and weave in the same league. They also couldn't put punches together as well and with as much dynamite.

As far as Frazier, he did have good head skills but he didn't have Mike's devastating uppercuts or fierce right hand. But, being less skilled doesn't necessarily mean they are lesser fighters IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Capaedia View Post

I second that, The Brown Bomber in his prime was poetry in motion. Wow, is this NSB? Its almost like i am in the wrong fourm. Tyson was very skilled yes but more than The Brown Bomber? are you serious?

Comment

Originally posted by jabsRstiff View Post
                    I think the Buster Douglas who beat Tyson.....beats any version of Tyson.

i will respectfully disagree.

i do think that a motivated buster douglas was indeed a very good heavyweight, but mike tyson was a very special fighter in his prime

Comment

Originally posted by U_TALKING_2_ME? View Post
                      I second that, The Brown Bomber in his prime was poetry in motion. Wow, is this NSB? Its almost like i am in the wrong fourm. Tyson was very skilled yes but more than The Brown Bomber? are you serious?
                      I'm just going to bump this post rather than try and explain this to the fan who doesn't seem to get it. Anyone minimizing Joe Louis' skills needs to educate themselves.

Comment

Working...
                      X