No announcement yet.

Britain officially recognizes Druidry as a religion

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Britain officially recognizes Druidry as a religion

Britain has recognized Druidry, an ancient belief that worships deities that take different forms in nature, as a religion.

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2010/1...status/?hpt=C2

The decision will give the neo-pagan religion, known for its cloaked worshippers at Stonehenge (above, in 1999) and other sites, tax advantages and is expected to lead to broader acceptance.

"This has been a long hard struggle taking over five years to complete," said the Druid Network, which is based in England, in a statement on its website.

In some ways, Druidry in Britain is catching up to Druids and other neo-pagans in the United States, which already provides tax-exempt status for religious groups, said Marty Laubach, Associate Professor of Sociology at Marshall University.

The British commission noted that Druidry "is animistic and based on a belief that everything has a spiritual dimension." It also said that the religion recognizes deities within nature and conducts worship ceremonies.

The Druid Network, which has about 350 members, sought charitable status for "the advancement of religion for public benefit and no other purpose," the commission said in its ruling.

Druidry has no asserted dogma, the network said in its application. It added that members associate their gods with the moon, fertility, rain, love and other forces.

Druids were members of the learned class among ancient Celts, acting as priests, judges and teachers.

Comment

Oh yeah I read that on the front page when I came online, I didn't know those people excisted some lord of the rings ****

Comment

I'm all for anything that makes a mockery of religion.

Comment

Originally posted by Sweet Jesus View Post
          I'm all for anything that makes a mockery of religion.
          Isn't that all religion?

Comment

cool. where do i sign up?
            Last edited by Gojira; 10-03-2010, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Napalm Death View Post
              cool. where do i sign up?
              I believe you can sign up at Stonehenge during one of their gatherings.

Comment

Yeah, people gathering together on certain days of the year, celebrate certain holidays, wear silly robes and say old chants.
                Could be any religion in the world.

Comment

damn, this religion looks awesome. If I wasn't a Muslim already, I would definitely become a Druid.

Comment

Seems pretty fun, I would just do it for the cool robes but unfortunately I can't grow a beard like some of those guys can

Comment

Working...
                    X