Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: David Haye-Dereck Chisora: $natching Victory From Defeat

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: David Haye-Dereck Chisora: $natching Victory From Defeat

by Cliff Rold - Boxing loves a winner. It loves money more. Make a fight with the promise of violence, and evidence of violence in the build to the opening bell and…

Cha-ching.

Fire up the cash registers.

This Saturday, the Heavyweight division could wear a moniker straight out of an 80s schlock cult film. It’s “The fight the British Boxing Board of Control didn’t want you to see.” According to the Associated Press, over 28,000 tickets have been sold. The fans don’t agree with the BBBofC.

It’s a top-ten heavyweight clash between two fighters who lost their last bout, one of them three of his last four. David Haye (25-2, 23 KO) talked the talk and then took off his shoe to how a busted toe prevented walking the walk.

Dereck Chisora (15-3, 9 KO) showed up fat and lost to Tyson Fury. He showed up in shape and got jobbed bad against Robert Helenius. He topped it all this past February when he smacked Vitali Klitschko at the weigh-in, spit in his brother’s face during pre-fight introductions, and then managed to raise his stock by giving Vitali his fiercest challenge since Corrie Sanders in 2004.

He lost decisively, but he lost in a way that made Chisora someone worth continuing to follow. With less than 20 professional fights, his learning curve is clearly coming along. His manners could use some help.

Of course, being ill mannered and brash is what sells this weekend. Following Klitschko-Chisora, Haye and Chisora managed to steal the post-fight press conference show. Noisy banter between the two led to a physical altercation. Haye caught Chisora with a mighty sucker shot, Chisora entering a new phrase into comic complaints. [Click Here To Read More]

Heavyweight boxing is finally producing some interesting fights.
    We have the klit brothers, haye, chisora, fury,helnius (spell check) then smaller heavyweights like adamek chambers and a few others and everyone is finally fighting each other. The heavyweight tournement should help also.
    Looks like the heavyweights are starting to get interesting again even if its not americans.

Comment

Good article but your are assuming that it will be a good fight, and everything is riding on that one small detail. When in reality it is a 50-50 chance that the fight turns into just another Haye heavyweight stink fest.

Comment

Originally posted by Ravens Fan View Post
        Good article but your are assuming that it will be a good fight, and everything is riding on that one small detail. When in reality it is a 50-50 chance that the fight turns into just another Haye heavyweight stink fest.
        We already had that discussion in another thread. Haye only ever has stink-fests when he's fighting much taller fighters. Plus he fights best and most entertainingly when his opponent is willing to mix it up with him, which Chisora certainly is.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Rado View Post
          We already had that discussion in another thread. Haye only ever has stink-fests when he's fighting much taller fighters. Plus he fights best and most entertainingly when his opponent is willing to mix it up with him, which Chisora certainly is.
          Wait a minute. I thought Haye sucked in the Valuev fight because he broke his hand and he sucked in the Wlad fight because he broke his toe, are those facts not true? And I guess he sucked in the Fraudly fight..well, just because he plain old sucked.

Comment

Wait a minute. I thought Haye sucked in the Valuev fight because he broke his hand and he sucked in the Wlad fight because he broke his toe, are those facts not true? And I guess he sucked in the Fraudly fight..well, just because he plain old sucked.
            You're avoiding the point. He never fights aggressively against much taller fighters, but Chisora is not a much taller fighter.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Rado View Post
              You're avoiding the point. He never fights aggressively against much taller fighters, but Chisora is not a much taller fighter.
              What do you mean by aggressively when he caved the back of John Ruiz's head in? So, for three fights at HW he was a no show and they were stink fest. In one fight at HW he repeatedly fouled his opponent to get the win. Did he have to? I don't know but he did it and if the fight was anywhere but in England he most likely would have been disqualified, and he really should have been.

So, excuse me if I have been way less then impressed with Haye as a heavyweight. And he is the one that has done the talking and hasn't managed to back it up. Why? Because of a phony broken hand or his little hurt toe. In my opinion the guy is an absolute fraud and little more then a carnival side show act.

And I'll even take it one step further. His career as cruiser weight champion lasted what one fight? So, not only has he sucked at HW, he was also one the most over hyped one fight champions at cruiser weight in the divisions history. I mean if you listen to his fans they make it sound as if he dominated the division for yaers. When in reality he was actually the champion for what maybe four months and a total of two rounds? In fairness to Haye I don't like him so I am very biased and I can be because I am only a boxing fan.

Comment

What do you mean by aggressively when he caved the back of John Ruiz's head in? So, for three fights at HW he was a no show and they were stink fest. In one fight at HW he repeatedly fouled his opponent to get the win. Did he have to? I don't know but he did it and if the fight was anywhere but in England he most likely would have been disqualified, and he really should have been.

So, excuse me if I have been way less then impressed with Haye as a heavyweight. And he is the one that has done the talking and hasn't managed to back it up. Why? Because of a phony broken hand or his little hurt toe. In my opinion the guy is an absolute fraud and little more then a carnival side show act.

And I'll even take it one step further. His career as cruiser weight champion lasted what one fight? So, not only has he sucked at HW, he was also one the most over hyped one fight champions at cruiser weight in the divisions history. I mean if you listen to his fans they make it sound as if he dominated the division for yaers. When in reality he was actually the champion for what maybe four months and a total of two rounds? In fairness to Haye I don't like him so I am very biased and I can be because I am only a boxing fan.
                I hope you have the integrity to admit you were wrong. The fight was extremely entertaining as I said it would be, and Haye finished it brilliantly, as I suspected he would. No one with a shred of objectivity would say otherwise. Haye doesn't have what it takes to fight offensively against the really tall Heavyweights (or to even be competitive against the K bros) but against anyone his own height, he is very entertaining.

Comment

Working...
                X