Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who will be remembered as the better fighter, Cotto or Mosley?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mr. Invincible View Post
    Now, Mosley, definitely. But then again, Cotto's career has a few more years and he still can do more to enhance his all time standing.

Took the words right outta my mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by RichCCFC View Post
      First thoughts were Mosley easily but I think it's not as clear cut as once thought.

Both 3 weight Champions Cotto - 140,147,154, Mosley - 135,147,154

Cotto holds the victory over Shane in their encounter in a close fight.

Shane holds the biggest win between the pair with a win over Prime Oscar De La Hoya and did something Cotto failed to do in KOing Margarito (now the whole wrap scandal comes into play). Cotto did better vs Mayweather and Pacquiao than Mosley, even though Pacquiao stopped Cotto.

If Cotto gets maybe 1-2 more huge wins maybe he could take it? (e.g Canelo)
      It is Mosley easily.Cotto was never champion at 140. You either forget or ignore the difference in their ages. Cotto is 31 and Mosley is 40. That makes a huge difference in their abilities. Cotto won a close one over Mosley when he was 27 years old and Mosley was 36 years old. Does anyone on here really believe he would have defeated a 27 year old Mosley? I know I think a 27 year old Mosley would beat Cotto. Mosley lost to Mayweather and Pacquiao when he was 38 and 39 years old and washed up. Cotto was 27 when he lost to Pacquiao and 31 when he lost to Mayweather. Mosley defended his lightweight tittle successfully 8 times with 8 KOs. He had 3 sucessful defenses of his welterweight tittle with 3 KOs. Cotto had 4 successful defenses at 147 and 2 at 154. That is 11 successful defenses all by KO for Mosley against 6 successful defenses for Cotto, 5 by KO. I think Cotto is winning the poll more on popularity than accomplishments.

Comment

Originally posted by DempseyRollin View Post
        its mosely. lol @ anyone who says cotto.
        I give cotto alot of credit for being an outstanding fighter but although I am mosley fan (obviously not being immuned to being biased) I feel that shane has been underrated recently. His fight with miguel took place when cotto was Pprime while shane was 36 years old. How many fighters, in the history of the sport, 147 pounds and below (who have depended on speed and reflexes) have fought competitively against elite young comp at the age of 36!

It's also funny how people assume that Forrest and Wright are a walk in the park. Who's to say that many of the top fighters today(including Mayweather) don't lose to those two also.
        Last edited by northstar; 05-16-2012, 01:35 PM.

Comment

I feel that Mosley is sort of overrated, heck of a fighter in his prime and a sure hall of famer, but if you really break down his career it's not as great as people think. He feasted on nothing but mediocre fighters in his run at lightweight, and his best wins over DLH, are questionable as I thought Oscar won the second one and not to mention Shane was juicing. He has pretty good wins over Vargas, Margarito, Mayorga, and Collazo but nothing really stands out besides the Margarito destruction. He also has some pretty ugly losses where he was completely outclassed (Winky x2, Forrest x2, Floyd, Manny, Canelo).

I'll pick Cotto.
          Last edited by _original_; 05-16-2012, 02:12 PM.

Comment

Close!

But I think Mosley... Just.
            It's hard because they're both great. But as good as Cotto is, I've never really considered him top5 p4p... Wheras Shane was a staple for years and the De La Hoya fight as many have said, jumps out at you on the records.

Comment

Originally posted by _original_ View Post
              I feel that Mosley is sort of overrated, heck of a fighter in his prime and a sure hall of famer, but if you really break down his career it's not as great as people think. He feasted on nothing but mediocre fighters in his run at lightweight, and his best wins over DLH, are questionable as I thought Oscar won the second one and not to mention Shane was juicing. He has pretty good wins over Vargas, Margarito, Mayorga, and Collazo but nothing really stands out. He also has some pretty ugly losses where he was completely outclassed (Winky x2, Forrest x2, Floyd, Manny, Canelo).

I'll pick Cotto.
              Doh! I forgot about the Balco thing...

Comment

Originally posted by Mr E Mann View Post
                Doh! I forgot about the Balco thing...
                Does that mean you would reverse your vote if you could?

Comment

Mosley he was one of the greatest 135 pounders ever.

Comment

Cotto was never THE man at any weight he fought at.

He was belt holder at 140 while Mayweather, Tszyu and Hatton were there. At 147, Mayweather was the lineal champion and at 154 he was just another titlist.

At no point in his career could you say Cotto was the top dog in any division he fought at.

Compare that with Mosley, who was the man at 135, skipped a division and dethroned prime De La Hoya at WW then beat him again at 154.

Head to head, a close but clear victory over a 36 year old Mosley is still Cotto's best win, that right there is testament to Shane's greatness.

Based on that fight, prime Mosley KO's Cotto.

Comment

cotto , no doubt about it..

shane was a steroid cheater and looked like a total punk vs pac...

Comment

Working...
                      X