No announcement yet.

Sergio Martinez: "I'M GOING TO WIN THIS FIGHT BY KNOCKOUT"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sergio Martinez: "I'M GOING TO WIN THIS FIGHT BY KNOCKOUT"

PC: Congratulations on all of the accolades and accomplishments you received in 2010. What are your goals for 2011?

SM: Thank you so much for the congratulations. I'm very grateful for that. First things first, my number one thing for 2011 is to become the #1 pound-for-pound fighter in the world this year. I'm going to fight whoever I need to fight to get to that goal.

PC: It all starts with Serhiy Dzinziruk on March 12th. What do you know about him as a fighter and what type of fight are you expecting?

SM: My immediate goal is to win this fight. I am going to win this fight, and in fact, I'm going to win this fight by knockout. I expect a tough fight from Serhiy because he is a tough fighter and a smart fighter, but I have committed myself to this training camp, and it's a very hard training camp. I'm going to give 100% and I'm going to give my fans what they deserve, a great show. That's what they expect from me and I hope Serhiy does the same thing.

PC: You seemed very comfortable in your two fights against Paul Williams, so I take it the fact that Serhiy is a southpaw doesn't bother you at all?

SM: (Laughing) I may have looked comfortable in that fight with Paul Williams, but he is a freaking tough fighter (laughing). He throws a lot of punches and he is a very smart fighter. In the case of Dzinziruk, it's going to be more of a technical and strategic type of fight. It's going to be a different fight and approach than the Paul Williams fight. He is a southpaw like Williams, but this fight will be more of a chess match. He is a different fighter.

PC: In many observers eyes, you haven't lost a fight in 10 years. How did you overcome the Kermit Cintron situation, as well as the close decision loss to Williams in the first fight, to have so much success now?

SM: I don't have any secrets or pills or anything special. All of my success has been a production of my hard work. I take care of my body in and out of the ring and I really focus on my work. I commit myself 100% on my training and that's what brings me results.

PC: You've always showcased great boxing skills and movement, but now you have also displayed one-punch knockout power. Do you think that will hurt you in trying to land fights with guys like Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao in the future?

SM: Yes, absolutely that;s going to prevent a lot of fighters from wanting to fight me in the future, especially fighters like Mayweather and Pacquiao. Most importantly, I've punched really hard throughout my entire career, but since the Williams knockout, people are noticing it a little more and appreciating my work. I've always packed a punch and they may not necessarily knock you out, but they are like razor blades.

PC: It's been a few fights since you've had to make 154 pounds. How is your weight coming along and will it not be an issue in this fight?

SM: No, it's not a problem, especially if I had to fight a Pacquiao or Mayweather. To fight one of those guys, I would do whatever it takes to get down to that weight. I've prepared my body to stay at 160 pounds, but to make weight is not a problem.

PC: How have you handled being hit with a great deal of success in the States because? You still seem to be very humble and grounded. And how are you received in Argentina when you return?

SM: I've been received really well here in the United States and I definitely appreciate all of the support from all of the fans; the boxing fans throughout the whole world. That means a lot to me. When I go back home, initially, I wasn't as accepted, but since my last fight, I am accepted well and it's very nice to go home and be taken back with open arms, and that's a very nice feeling.
    http://fighthype.com/pages/content9344.html

It would be phenomial if he did.

IMO Martinez is hitting alot harder, due to his improve technique, so him KO'ing Dzinziruk wouldn't be shocking.

Comment

doubt it.... dzinzurik is supposed to be a defensive boxer.

Comment

If he doesn't get an early KO, it's going to a long and technical fight. I predict plenty of boos.

Comment

Dzinziruk is gonna get Williams'd aka eyeballs to the canvas

Comment

Hold the phone, how the **** do you even pronounce Dzinziruk?

Comment

Anyone know what the odds are for this fight?

Comment

Originally posted by _original_ View Post
                Hold the phone, how the **** do you even pronounce Dzinziruk?
                Zin zi ruhk

Comment

Originally posted by Sweet Jesus View Post
                  Zin zi ruhk

thank you

-

Comment

If he does he'll be number 1 pound for pound.

Comment

Working...
                    X