Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Safety First Boxing Dominates: Are Pressure Fighters Out?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Safety First Boxing Dominates: Are Pressure Fighters Out?

Its most likely Wlad will win tommorow. I'm pretty much convinced. He boxes like that for a reason. It conserves braincells and allows for career longevity. Money May does the same too. He's lighter and so hugging is not necessary so it makes for a better watch but still its safety first and for the same reason. Floyd likes not to be hit and will not sacrificing landing a good combo for taking some dangerous shots.

Does this mean we will not see a pressure fighter dominate like either of these guys?

Is that style for the dustbin?
    Yes, its too risky.
    33.33%
    No, the Messiah will come.
    66.67%
    Whats a pressure fighter?
    0.00%

Pressure fighters still reside near the top of their divisions. Rios at lightweight, Segura at 108, Williams at 154, Bradley, Matthysse and Maidana at 140, Salido at featherweight, Glen Johnson at 168, I'm sure I could name more if I sit and think about it.

Pressure fighters are going no where. They will always be there, testing the hearts of all the pretty boy boxers.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
      Pressure fighters still reside near the top of their divisions. Rios at lightweight, Segura at 108, Williams at 154, Bradley, Matthysse and Maidana at 140, Salido at featherweight, Glen Johnson at 168, I'm sure I could name more if I sit and think about it.

Pressure fighters are going no where. They will always be there, testing the hearts of all the pretty boy boxers.
      The only guy there that you could say are dominant in the way Wlad and May have been is Bradley.

And he ducks Khan.

Other man we can look at is Manny, but he's not a simple pressure fighter. He has an array of movement.

Theres no-one goes in smoking and ruling a division like Tyson or Dempsey.

Comment

brandon rios is doing ok.

Comment

Originally posted by DET. IRONSIDE View Post
          Its most likely Wlad will win tommorow. I'm pretty much convinced. He boxes like that for a reason. It conserves braincells and allows for career longevity. Money May does the same too. He's lighter and so hugging is not necessary so it makes for a better watch but still its safety first and for the same reason. Floyd likes not to be hit and will not sacrificing landing a good combo for taking some dangerous shots.

Does this mean we will not see a pressure fighter dominate like either of these guys?

Is that style for the dustbin?
          IF indeed safety first fighters will dominate, then it will mean a serious decline in interest in the sport of boxing.

the klits are the perfect example.

the sad reality is that safety first fighters can only garner interest IF they fight pressure fighters.

nothing is more coma-inducing than seeing two safety-first fighters face each other. now i'm sure there are a number of fans who would actually find this entertaining, but its safe to assume that the majority of those who watch boxing want to see more leather being thrown.

i mean, who would want to watch a sport that puts you to sleep?

Comment

Originally posted by mushahadeen View Post
            brandon rios is doing ok.
            I'm talking about dominating, not doing okay. Okay is sweet for a career but its not dominating and becoming a focus.

Originally posted by AFighter4U View Post
            nothing is more coma-inducing than seeing two safety-first fighters face each other. now i'm sure there are a number of fans who would actually find this entertaining, but its safe to assume that the majority of those who watch boxing want to see more leather being thrown.

i mean, who would want to watch a sport that puts you to sleep?
            I LIKE movement and slickness. I like to watch that but at heavyweight that is NOT going to happen. You end up with a hugfest. We need these guys to come out there and try and build themselves to that level where you can be slick and carry the weight.

Wlad can move, Haye can move, its not an impossibility but its bad for career longevity. Thats why Haye is retiring. He has that style and that means taking shots so you can throw yours at heavyweight.

Moving into the pocket, and dominating the pocket and moving out. Thats a tough skill to master.

But just hanging there until the other guy is backing off?

Thats too tough a game for me.

Comment

Wlad doesn't hold nearly as much as people say.

- He did in ONE fight, the first Peter fight, but since then he has not .

- Most of the holding in the second Peter fight was by Peter.

- Wlad applied pressure and chased Chambers and didn't hold much.

- There was virtually no holding in the Chagaev fight.

- I don't remember much holding in the Rahman fight.

- There was little holding and a lot of punches thrown by both fighters in the Thompson fight.

- Ibragimov feinted and ran a lot in his fight, there was a lot of standing off but not much holding.

- Wlad jabbed a lot but didn't hold much in the second Brewster fight.

- There was no holding at all in the Austin fight.

- I remember very little holding in the Brock and Byrd fights.

Why do people say he holds a lot? Are they just repeating what haters like Teddy Atlas say??

Comment

Boxing isn't only about winning, or longevity. It's about giving people a good and entertaining fight. That's why you won't hear Mayweather's name being thrown around decades from now as some amazing fighter, but you will for Pacquiao. They can stick to their safety first bull**** style for all I care, but they'll be remembered for that in their "legacy" as well.

Comment

learn to fight like floyd is hard very hard to do, be a Pressure Fighter is something natural to do, but to be a smart one you need to study the art of boxing.....
                  Last edited by skillswin; 07-01-2011, 10:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Freedom. View Post
                    Wlad doesn't hold nearly as much as people say.

- He did in ONE fight, the first Peter fight, but since then he has not .

- Most of the holding in the second Peter fight was by Peter.

- Wlad applied pressure and chased Chambers and didn't hold much.

- There was virtually no holding in the Chagaev fight.

- I don't remember much holding in the Rahman fight.

- There was little holding and a lot of punches thrown by both fighters in the Thompson fight.

- Ibragimov feinted and ran a lot in his fight, there was a lot of standing off but not much holding.

- Wlad jabbed a lot but didn't hold much in the second Brewster fight.

- There was no holding at all in the Austin fight.

- I remember very little holding in the Brock and Byrd fights.

Why do people say he holds a lot? Are they just repeating what haters like Teddy Atlas say??
                    DUDE! Don't over-react! Forget the holding, Wlad IS a safety first boxer who stays on the outside.

He has good reasons for it. Those reasons make tactical SENSE for an athlete who, as a boxer, plans a long career while holding onto his braincells. And he is NOT a pressure fighter and he VERY RARELY steps into the pocket if at all.

I'm not attacking Wlad. I'm just wondering where boxing is going.

Wheres the pressure going to come from?

Who is coming up and is that a dead style?

Comment

Working...
                    X