No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Tony Thompson: Best Of The Rest

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Tony Thompson: Best Of The Rest

By Jake Donovan - Tony Thompson knew better than to expect anything but the unexpected. It was how he was able to overcome a brief hailstorm before knocking out David Price in their first fight earlier this year.

It was how he was able to climb off the canvas to eventually repeat the trick Saturday evening.

"I would be a liar if I said I did not have butterflies before,” Thompson admitted after his 5th round knockout, once again in Price’s hometown of Liverpool, England. “David scares the hell out of me, he is a good strong boxer. But he brought out the f***ing best out of me. Can you say f*** (on TV)?"

It was probably what was going through Price’s mind after watching his career prospects go down the drain, as well as the minds of the rest of the top heavyweight contenders.

The Brit didn’t stick around for post-fight interviews, though Thompson’s candid commentary told the entire story. A 41-year old heavyweight emphatically shut down twice at the world title stage somehow still has every reason to gloat. [Click Here To Read More]

I'd like to see Thompson in with one of these:

Kubrat Pulev
    Deontay Wilder
    Bryant Jennings
    Odlanier Solis
    Robert Helenius
    Magomed Abdusalamov
    winner of Scott-Chisora
    winner of Haye-Fury
    winner of Vitali-Stiverne

There are a LOT of possibilities for good matchups for Thompson, if someone is willing. But I have a bad feeling he'll be avoided in future.

Comment

Props to Thompson for not quitting after the knockdown, and commiserations to Price for putting it on the line and losing against a very good HW.

I'm sorry to see Price lose like this after an excellent start, because he is a talented fighter, but his movement, punch resistance, and stamina are severely lacking. His career is probably over, but he's a decent commentator/analyst and I'm sure there's a job at Sky for him somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Freedom2013 View Post
        I'd like to see Thompson in with one of these:

Kubrat Pulev
        Deontay Wilder
        Bryant Jennings
        Odlanier Solis
        Robert Helenius
        Magomed Abdusalamov
        winner of Scott-Chisora
        winner of Haye-Fury
        winner of Vitali-Stiverne

There are a LOT of possibilities for good matchups for Thompson, if someone is willing. But I have a bad feeling he'll be avoided in future.
        Wilder..... Wilder needs a name on his resume besides Audley.... and Thompson is proving he's hot right now in a shallow HW division.
        Big american fight

Comment

"Whaaaaaat!!!"

Great win for Thompson. Age is catching up with him though...

Comment

Originally posted by Freedom2013 View Post
            winner of Vitali-Stiverne.
            Vitali and Thompson are both 41.

War!

Comment

Enjoyed watching him stop Price.

Wilder is too strong, young and aggressive for TT. He is a different animal to Price.

Comment

Thread title should be: Best in the US, but good to see Jake talking him up.

Comment

Originally posted by The Weebler II View Post
                  Thread title should be: Best in the US, but good to see Jake talking him up.
                  Yea it should be.

I've always thought Thompson was good. I picked him over Price the first time, because I knew the only really meaningful losses Thompson had were to Wlad - it was a huge step up for Price. You really have to knock him out or he'll keep on being determined to win. Against Wlad, I felt both times it was a confidence issue, but despite that, Wlad-Thompson 1 was often called Wlad's toughest fight in years.

I wouldn't talk him up as much as Jake does on here. He's the best US Heavyweight in terms of resume so far, but Haye and Pulev would probably be favourites over him.

One thing I really hate though, as when Thompson won over Price, the Americans on this site instantly turned this into a nationalist thing: posts like USA USA USA. USA>Britain/Europe etc. It's really pathetic, and pretty much backward. It makes it hard to like American fighters as it seems you are joining in the Nationalist "hype" behind them - especially so for Heavyweights, and it's not even the fighters fault.

Comment

Originally posted by fight_professor View Post
                    Enjoyed watching him stop Price.

Wilder is too strong, young and aggressive for TT. He is a different animal to Price.
                    Price a Tall Heavyweight with Weak Whiskers....TIMBER!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X