Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Insider Notebook: Molina; No Quillin-Golovkin, Barclays

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Insider Notebook: Molina; No Quillin-Golovkin, Barclays

By Robert Morales - Lightweight contender John Molina confirmed this week what was recently reported by BoxingScene.com, that he is now being trained by Robert Garcia, one of today's top trainers.

Molina was being trained by Joe Goossen for the second time when he challenged Antonio DeMarco for his world title Sept. 8 in Oakland. DeMarco stopped Molina 44 seconds into the fight. DeMarco hurt Molina, who eventually sat on the ropes and absorbed several blows before referee Jack Reiss stopped the fight.

We spoke with Molina on Tuesday, and asked him why he decided to make the switch.

"We were happy with Joe and everything was going good," Molina said. "We just had to make a decision to progress in my career and we thought Robert was the guy to do it with. Robert doesn't accept everybody and the fact that he accepted us with open arms meant a lot to me."

Molina said Garcia is one of a few trainers in California who have star power and notoriety. He said that Goossen and Virgil Hunter are two others.

"At this stage in my career, Robert was the best for me for my style, and then with the accolades he has accomplished over the past five years," Molina said.

Indeed, Garcia has become a very hot commodity in the mode of Freddie Roach, who turns away a lot of fighters because so many want him.

"He (Garcia) told me, 'There is not much I need to change on you. I just need to tighten you up in certain areas and we are good to go,' " Molina said. "Robert has actually turned down fighters and he was very excited to be working with me.

"He said I'm one of the strongest guys he has ever felt."

Molina reiterated he has nothing bad to say about Goossen. [Click Here To Read More]

i wonder if Molina and Rios will get along. didn't they have beef a while ago?

Comment

I know GBP will go after Marco Antonio Rubio or Jermain Taylor, But I wanna see Young Randall Bailey aka Kid Chocolate fight one of the top 6 in Febuary Brooklyn main event

1. Sergio Martinez
      2. Gennady Golovkin
      3. Julio Cesar Chavez Jr
      4. Daniel Geale
      5. Felix Sturm
      6. Dimitry Pirog

Comment

In no way will GB allow Quillin anywhere near Golovkin - that would be shortest path to loosing his belt.

Comment

ggg would destroy Quillin. What i dont understand is when schafer says only the hard core fans know gennedy. Is it just me or is thats all boxing has left is hard core fans? the fights are no different then a well run strip club. bring in the good lookin girls, the men will come. set up good fights, and the people will show up. GGG gained a few fans with his boxing after dark win, thing is quillin isn't a name outside the hardcore either. peace ya'll

Comment

It's cool....wouldn't want my fighter to lose their belt so fast either.
            I bet they try to fight Winky again

Comment

Golovkin is the most avoided fighter in boxing today

Comment

Golovkin is not in a good position. Every promotor on this side of the pond says he is not fighting their man because he is unknown. They say he has to get on television and beat good opponents to become known, but nobody seems willing to fight him.

I think K2 is going to have to start offering up some serious money to lure some opponents into the ring with him. Take some financial risk with him to possibly get long term returns. We all know promoters hate doing that now.

Comment

Who the hell knew N'dam?

Nobody knew him. So why did they fight him? For a title. Golovkin has a title.

Smh

Comment

Originally posted by ThePhantom5 View Post
                    Who the hell knew N'dam?

Nobody knew him. So why did they fight him? For a title. Golovkin has a title.

Smh
                    You know as well as I do why, because N'Dam had the title and Quillen needed one, so they shelled out enough dough to get N'dam to travel.

GGG the most avoided fighter in boxing? I think the guy is the truth myself, but beating the shell of Kassim Ouma and an unproven Proksa doesn't make you a world beater. The guy has to pay some dues if he wants to hang out on this side of the pond, this is a business not a sport fellas. Proksa is not a world class operator, I'm sorry.

Like I said though, I think GGG is the truth, but people are talking like he's the p4p #1. Like it was said before, K2 is going to have to shell out some real dough to get good opponents for him before he makes enough sense business wise to take the risks. This is boxing, nothing new here.

Comment

Working...
                    X