Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sergio Martinez: What does he have to do for you to consider him an ATG?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I still think he needs to do considerably more to become an ATG, he should definitely rule the division as lineal champion for at least another 2-3 years and unify a few belts while his at it. Perhaps fight a few celebrities (Canelo, Cotto, May) since many people associate popularity with HOF/ATG status... Fighting an accessible 168 titleholder would also help his odds. I could see him possibly retiring as a top 10-15 middleweight. Right now off the top of my head I would rank at middleweight (in no particular order) the following boxers in terms of achievements at 160 ahead of Martinez: Robinson, Greb, Monzon, Hagler, Hopkins, and probably a few more... if anyone wants to make a list please don't mention Roy Jones or Leonard or anyone else who had a short stint as a middleweight title holder or Champion.

Comment

hes too old to become an atg thats just the truth

Comment

A few unification wins could help his cause but I think his days are numbered so if he doesn't get on it soon, I doubt it will happen.

Comment

like I said earlier, Martinez hasnt really fought anyone the best people on his resume are pwill and pavlik, sebastian.

and he future oppenents his eyeing ie. murray and chavez jr and giving his age I doubt he do anything to make his resume more worthy of a HOF let alone a ATG.

to become a ATG clear out a division and then move up and clear out another one.

Comment

Originally posted by ElBossHogg™ View Post
            like I said earlier, Martinez hasnt really fought anyone the best people on his resume are pwill and pavlik, sebastian.

and he future oppenents his eyeing ie. murray and chavez jr and giving his age I doubt he do anything to make his resume more worthy of a HOF let alone a ATG.

to become a ATG clear out a division and then move up and clear out another one.
            How can he not be in the HALL of Fame. People are saying Gatti should be in the Hall of Fame. Saying Martinez at his age and what he achieved should not be in the Hall of Fame is a joke.

Comment

ATG may be out of reach as I don't see him moving up to beat a Ward. But a continued reign at 160 for a few more years might do the trick.

Comment

@Jel: That's what I was thinking, he's resume is already as good if not better than many actual HOF's.

Comment

One of these 3 (in order of significance) :

-Beat Floyd at 154

-Clean out 160

-Beat Ward at 168

Comment

If he drops down to 154 and beats Cotto, Canelo and Floyd, I'd put him in the top 50 ATG. On paper, the records of his opposition would be superior to any other fighter in the world over the last 25 years or so.

Sergio is always going to be one of these guys that people want and expect more from, whether it be from envy, hate or the acknowledgment of his greatness. If he dominates an experienced boxer with 35 wins and no losses at the sake of missing an opportunity to fight a greener, undefeated guy with 15 wins and no losses, who has a little hype behind them, Sergio is "ducking" this other guy. If he beats up on the greener, hyped guy then he just beat up on a green "hype job" who wasn't ready to begin with.

It is the same story with guys that are too good for their own good. You are damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Comment

Originally posted by mathed View Post
                      If he drops down to 154 and beats Cotto, Canelo and Floyd, I'd put him in the top 50 ATG. On paper, the records of his opposition would be superior to any other fighter in the world over the last 25 years or so.

Sergio is always going to be one of these guys that people want and expect more from, whether it be from envy, hate or the acknowledgment of his greatness. If he dominates an experienced boxer with 35 wins and no losses at the sake of missing an opportunity to fight a greener, undefeated guy with 15 wins and no losses, who has a little hype behind them, Sergio is "ducking" this other guy. If he beats up on the greener, hyped guy then he just beat up on a green "hype job" who wasn't ready to begin with.

It is the same story with guys that are too good for their own good. You are damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Nah, all he has to do is keep fighting undefeated great's like Martin Murray.

Comment

Working...
                      X