Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Schaefer: Mares is Second Best, Right Behind Mayweather

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Schaefer: Mares is Second Best, Right Behind Mayweather

Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer speaks with a tremendous amount of pride whenever Abner Mares’ name is mentioned these days, and for good reason.

Mares is Golden Boy’s first home-grown champion, earning such status after beating Joseph Agbeko for a bantamweight belt in August ’11. There was controversy surrounding the bout, but Mares removed all doubt with a dominant points win in their rematch four months later.

The unbeaten boxer has since moved on to win titles in two more weight classes, picking up belts in the super bantamweight and featherweight division, the latter where he presently resides as champion. Mares will have a chance to add to his already stellar résumé when he faces Jhonny Gonzalez in their August 24 Showtime-televised main event in Carson, California. [Click Here To Read More]

Mares isn't number II yet but he could be in a year or two. He's a completely different fighter than the one that got away with low-blowing Abeko a couple years back. He's a much more polished boxer. To me Broner has more up side but he will never reach full potential unless he commits fully to becoming a great fighter. But after that it's Mares to me.

Comment

not even resume wise is he #2 , definitely top 10 ....and ward is # 1...

Comment

I like Mares, one of the top fighters today.
        Number 2 though?
        Nah

Comment

Gonna have to beat Rigo or Donaire or both first.

Comment

Mares is a GBP fighter. Nothing to see here.

Comment

LOL, let me guess, Schaefer is trying to have Mares move up to 147 to fight Floyd next? Mares is good but he hasn't done anything to warrant putting him above the other guys in the top 10 p4p. Mares above Wlad, BHOP, JMM, Pac, Ward, Froch? Nah, I don't think so

Comment

I equate this to Oscar calling Quillen the best Middleweight in the world

Comment

No Way

Schaefer is talking out of his ass like a promoter. He should have said Canelo is #2 sell more tickets. Mares not even #2 for golden boy. Hopefully the fued doesnt end cause Rigo will beat Mares and so can Garcia. Too bad they are under modern day boxings version of castro bob arum. Make fights schaefer your real good at that im impressed but dont rank fighters you suck at it

Comment

Rigo sparks him, donaire maybe. Either way he isnt the #2 p4p fighter no way. Top 10 is arguable.

Comment

Working...
                    X