Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's worse a devestating one punch KO or a sustained 12 round beating?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are very few things I can imagine being worse than what Vitali did to Shannon Briggs over 12 rounds. That was tough to watch.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeRo1972 View Post
      Sustained consistent head trauma over 36 minutes is way worse than 1 concussive blow. Just look at Ali, Ray Robinson, Collins, Frazier, Vargas, Taylor, etc. All in epic wars and worse for the where.
      I don't buy that. It seems like people just keep on saying that over and over again and all of a sudden this myth has turned into science fact. I'm pretty sure getting knocked out cold like Pac face down and unconscious for a couple of minutes could be even worse than taking a beatdown like Lacy did against Calzaghe.

Comment

12 round beating is worse at it means you are being outclassed and no good.

Being Ko'ed like Pac has to be put into perspective. As he has fought 3 fights with JMm and hasnt been down its just when he did go down it was spectacularly. Pac hasnt been down and he gets hit a bit in his career so the JMM isnt that bad considereding Pac is a come forward fighter who lives by the sworld and dies by the sword as well.

I think Pac will still be able to do something in his last fights as well. Some people use Pacs ko to say he is overated as well which cant be taken seriously.

These haters were saying he was overated when he was winning, so why should we listen to them when Pac loses. They will say PAC is overated no matter what, if Pac wins or loses.
        Last edited by hugh grant; 12-13-2012, 12:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by -Johannes- View Post
          Depends. Most of the time a beating is a lot worse. Sometimes a one shot KO can kill a guy. Alejandro Sanabria killed a guy with a short left hook.

I think that's a rare occurence, most fighters who died from injuries sustained in a boxing match were fighters who went the distance and looked fine.

Originally posted by The Gambler1981 View Post
          Physically getting beat up over 12 rounds.

Mentally getting crushed with one shot.
          This.

Originally posted by ABOSWORTH View Post
          When you get embarrassed for the entire fight, what do you tell yourself other than the other man was just a better fighter?
          You can find solace in the fact that you stayed on your feet and kept fighting. A KO loss is more emotionally devastating because it's the ultimate way of beating your opponent in the ring. Even more so when it's a one-punch KO and you lose consciousness. You lay down motionless while your opponent stands over you like a beast who just slayed its prey, you were defeated in the most dramatic fashion a man can be defeated.
          Last edited by Light_Speed; 12-13-2012, 12:31 PM.

Comment

12 round beating is worse. You know that the guy is superior to you, a rematch does nothing for the loser unless he comes back as a Super Saiyan.

Martinez knocked out Williams cold, but the fight prior to that showed that they were pretty much on the same level. Like it's been mentioned in this thread, a one punch KO can happen to anyone.

Comment

As far as shortening careers they're about equal. Mentally I think the huge KO is more damaging. When you are on the losing end of a 12 round decision you know you hung in there and didn't quit. It might have taken a toll on you physically, but you can be proud of your accomplishments. I'd say they're about even when you examine the physical and mental impact. The one punch KO is more devastating to public image though, so that is what gives it the slight edge to me.

Comment

I would rather be KO in the first round than take an embarrassing 12 rounds beating in the Vitali vs Shannon briggs mode, there is nothing warrior-ish about it IMHO.

Comment

A 12 round (or close to it) beating is MUCH worse in my opinion. Look at Oscar against Pac. Hardly anyone was saying it was just a bad night and that Oscar still had plenty left to give and blah, blah. Then look at Manny. You still have more people then not that just say "hey its boxing, **** happens." One of these happens when you are badly outclassed or shot, the other can happen to any fighter at any time.

Comment

For the brain it's a lot worse to get a beating for 12 rounds than getting knocked out by one brutal punch.

However I think losing by one brutal KO punch is harder to take for a boxer.

Comment

Sustained hard blows to the head are worse than a KO!
                      Fighters who have won by a KO understand theres no shame in loosiing via KO, the fighter who feels "embarrsed" as suggested here isn't much of a fighter to begin with. The negative that you do feel is letting your family and friends down!! Its a different kind of "hurt", real fighters don't feel embarrsed if they know their effort was their best! They do give respect and honor to their opponents victory!! Thats why its always good to fight quality opponents!!

As to Pacman KO loss to Juan I think those two have enough KO wins to understand how to feel. When you fight at the highest level **** happens, the fans cry this or that the fighter mends, figures out what mistakes were made then fights on, or in Pac or Juans case says "see ya"!! Ray.

Comment

Working...
                      X