Collapse
No announcement yet.

How highly do you rate James Toney?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

James Toney was a great fighter, but in my opinion steroids cheats shouldn't be inducted into the HOF

Comment

In a p4p list?
      Or in general pretty high when his heads on straight he's great but he's never in a dull fight.
      Great skills just naturally gifted. Not with speed or super power but ring iq.

Also what about toneys other wins?

Comment

Originally posted by NET View Post
        One of the best of all time.

Destroys either Klitschko if given the chance. Too skilled for the robotic, one dimensional protected Russians.
        LOL, sure...

Comment

ATG, I have him rated around the same area as Hopkins and Jones.

Very good resume
          Is a 2 time fighter of the year
          Comeback fighter of the year
          Was in a Fight of the Year fight
          3 weight class champion and was dominating guys at heavyweight as well until the 2nd Peter fight.(He was robbed in the first fight)
          Incredible chin, never been stopped even at heavyweight.
          Never ducked anyone
          and has done well when faced with adversity.

How is this man overrated?

Comment

I miss Domination...

Comment

He had so much skill wasted that I don't want to call him an ATG but when I look at his resume...yes, yes he was. One of the best fighters in my time for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
                rawrrrrr

i'm a huge toney fan

but really?

he wasn't a huge puncher
                wasn't slow, but wasn't terribly fast either of hand or foot.

he had a great chin, and reflexes and poise

but a lot of his prowess in the ring came from his tricks and not his gifts
                Toney always had very fast hands, and reflexes.

Most of his poor performances were a direct result of him being a fat lazy bastard.

Comment

Anyone who doubts Toney's credentials needs to pop in one of the best fights of the past 20 years, Toney-Jirov. Jirov was a young but experienced, hungry and savvy, tough as nails hard-hitter who could box and brawl with the best of them. And Toney took him to school, battering him and taking several years off his career in a beautiful performance. Toney at his peak was breathtaking.

Comment

Originally posted by HEADBANGER View Post
                    James Toney is one of those fighters whose career is hard to assess, how do you personally rate him?

even at his peak, toney was :

- drawing with sanderline williams
                    - getting a gift decision against dave tiberi
                    - winning life and death split decisions against sosa and johnson
                    - getting his head boxed off by jones
                    - losing twice to griffin
                    - losing to thadzi

then you have his best win versus nunn, where he came from way behind for a late knockout win

2 very close fights with an over the hill mccallum

a good performance against barkley who had previously lost to a shot roberto duran at middleweight, and lost to nigel benn in 1 round

a good win against jirov but who has jirov actually ever beat of note?

then theres the fact he has twice been found guilty of taking banned anabolic steroids which significantly damages toneys reputation.

do you think toney gets overated today, all things considered?
                    I fought with James out of the Galaxy stable back then and fought out of the same amatuer gym aswell. James was an incredible talent, he just couldn't control his weight between fights. He'd show up after a defense and he'd be200+lbs and have to dry out for every fight. That will take a toll on a body and it did for James. He did get a gift against Tiberi but Reggie Johnson was nobody to play with, that guy could fight. With the Jones bout it was told to me that he was out partying with snoop and dr, dre after he'd do his work in training camp. James was neither fit nor focused for that fight. Put those 2 in a ring at light heavy and things may have been different. Aswell, Montel Griffen was nothing to play with, that guy could fight too. Years before they met in the competitive ring Jackie had invited Montell to train down at Galaxy following the olympics. Montell gave James all that he could handle then and when they met in the prize ring Montell again put it on James. Certain styles will give certain fighters trouble, Montells style did just that. Say what you'd like about Jirov, he was a skilled fighter that James made look like an amatuer.

James at his best was the best fighter that I have seen with my two eyes. At his worst he was still good but lathargic.

James is an ATG in my book.............Rockin'
                    Last edited by Rockin'; 10-02-2012, 08:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Turbo B View Post
                      Despite all the strikes against him, I still think highly of Toney’s skills.

An underachieving HOF'er -- say's it all really.
                      exactly, but he did accomplish quite abit still............Rockin'
                      Last edited by Rockin'; 10-02-2012, 08:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X