No announcement yet.

The RING Title Doesn't Get Enough Respect

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by !!! Beowulf !!! View Post
    I guess Ricky Hatton is essentially fighting his Ring Magazine Mandatory challenger next.
    I still consider Hatton the "Champion" at 140.

I am not sure you can say Castillo is his "mandatory", but it's still a Championship fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Benny Leonard View Post

I am not sure you can say Castillo is his "mandatory", but it's still a Championship fight.
      Castillo is the Ring's number 1 contender for the belt, so in alphabet terms it is a mandatory.

Comment

Originally posted by Benny Leonard View Post

Of course he's still number 1. IBF or not, Hatton is still the champ.

Comment

Originally posted by !!! Beowulf !!! View Post
          Castillo is the Ring's number 1 contender for the belt, so in alphabet terms it is a mandatory.
          Castillo #1 at 140?

Castillo looks shot anyway.

I would of like Hatton to fight Cotto, even if it would have to be at 147.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy Dude View Post
            As I mentioned., they threw away their belts because they were star attractions and didn't need belts to get attention. Other fighters do need belts to get the publics attention. That's why they go after the belts and thats why they make more money after they've got them.

Getting a paper belt doesn't necessarily get you any closer to a ring belt. btw the phrase p4p best at a division doesn't really make sense since the term p4p is used to make comparisons across different divisions.

Mayweather, De La Hoya, Mosely were all ring belt holders and top ten p4p listers at one time or another. And none of them ever ruled a division.
            Huh? I didn't see you mentioned fighters throwing their paper belts . . . what you posted was some fighters are stars and simply doesn't need them.

Ah ah? Getting a paper belt doesn't get you any closer to a ring belt? How could you even be considered to fight the Ring belt holder if you're not worthy bruh. Think! Dammit! Not unless you're being taken in as a tune up fight.

Mayweather, Mosley and De La Hoya never ruled a division? Wrong again buddy. Mayweather is already a 4 time belt holder in different divisions, Mosley is a two time world champion and De La Hoya is a six time title holder in different division so, how could you say they didn't rule any division. When you hold a paper belt, that means you're the champion and you rule the division.

I guess it's not hard to understand that.

Comment

Well, thats not strictly true though is it?

Unless you feel that Shannon Briggs currently rules the heavyweight division.

Comment

Originally posted by Miksterious View Post
                Well, thats not strictly true though is it?

Unless you feel that Shannon Briggs currently rules the heavyweight division.
                Nah nah that's not what I mean. Shanon rules WBO because he is the champ but not the whole heavy weight division.

Probably the term "rules" needs to be changed to "a belt holder" to avoid misconceptions.

Comment

Yup. Makes much more sense that way.

Comment

Working...
                  X