Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ward vs Kovalev

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's not so much that Ward is exceptionally good on the inside, me I've always made the distinction between knowing how to fight in the clinches and infighting. Ward knows how to smother his opponents and lock one of their arms. To beat Ward it's gonna take someone who specializes in throwing short hooks/ uppercuts on the inside, someone who cuts off the ring very well. Kovalev is underrated on here, I really like what I see but I see Ward smothering him quite easily.

Comment

Originally posted by Simurgh View Post
      noone thinks kovalev's work-rate troubles ward?

it's interesting matchup, and much more natural than ggg-ward, imo.
      When's the last time Kovalev had to keep up his work-rate over 12 rounds?

Oh that's right, never ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor_Tenma View Post
        It's not so much that Ward is exceptionally good on the inside, me I've always made the distinction between knowing how to fight in the clinches and infighting. Ward knows how to smother his opponents and lock one of their arms. To beat Ward it's gonna take someone who specializes in throwing short hooks/ uppercuts on the inside, someone who cuts off the ring very well. Kovalev is underrated on here, I really like what I see but I see Ward smothering him quite easily.
        Kovalev won't be used to a fighter doing what Ward does, just like Froch and Kessler weren't. They were confused, and he probably would be too.

Edwin had some success early on though. I think if Ward gets beaten that's how it's going to happen, a strong light-heavyweight coming out and landing the big shot. Because Ward isn't getting outboxed.

Comment

Kovalev better be ready for sillahk

Comment

Kovalev v Ward is a fight we'll be talkin about in 4 years time just the way you *****s do manny/*****boy. ain't no way this fight is happening, if Ward does move up to 175 it'll be against Stevenson, thats a good fight but Ward will struggle with the size and power and lack of his own real pop. Then he'll either stay up fighting bums for 2 mill or move back down fighting bums for 2 mill.

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor_Tenma View Post
              The smothering by Ward would be interesting as Kovalev gets nasty when opponents hold him. Froch did some good work against Dre on the inside, so if that's Ward's gameplan he's going to be in for some bruised ribs/side of the head.

Comment

Originally posted by Jloro View Post
                Style wise I would think Dawson at 175, and you seen how that turned out. Maybe Stevensen now But ward would beat him the same way
                If Dawson wasn't shot he would have the best chance at beating Ward at 175, but Dawson as a top rated fighter is done. Chad has great physical skills, but he's mentally weak. Also Dawson has shown a lot of disrespect to his trainers.
                Last edited by Boxingwizard; 11-17-2013, 06:38 AM.

Comment

Kills me to say it though I've said for years hes been underrated a lot mainly because of his past but I think Stevenson has the best chance stylistically.

Comment

my aim was to say that kovalev is more natural than ggg. also i think kovalev would have a better chance of being victorious.

i cant really see any other fighter troubling ward. next one is marco huck.

Comment

Kovalev. more powerful & has the potential to pick apart ward's style.

Comment

Working...
                      X