Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Okay, let's settle this: Cotto vs. Chavez Jr. - Vote..

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Okay, let's settle this: Cotto vs. Chavez Jr. - Vote..

I'm seeing people regarding Chavez as the favorite out of nowhere and claiming how big he is and how they would favor him over Cotto etc etc. So I'm really curious to see if that actually is the general belief amongst boxing fans.

Considering this fight takes place anywhere between 158-160 (most likely scenarios) ...

Who do you see winning?

Personally, there's just no way I see Chavez standing a chance. He is not the better boxer, he is not a hard hitting puncher, he isn't a speed freak, he hasn't fought any elite (or even good) name, he doesn't have the experience, he's been bothered by mediocre fighters... Come on now.

Size? Margarito easily blew up like 20 pounds last Saturday night. Size doesn't mean much.

But anyways, that's my take. Vote and leave yours on this thread.
    Cotto
    68.60%
    Chavez Jr.
    22.09%
    Draw
    0.00%
    Not sure
    9.30%

Cotto by wide UD at worst. Probably wins by TKO, 8 rounds max.

Comment

I agree, although I do see Chavez giving cotto some problems because I'm sure as hell Roach will be instructing Chavez to box and if he does that his reach and height will be a problem for cotto. Chavez has that inner warrior in him though it's in his DNA, whenever he gets caught flush he likes to stand their and trade, so eventually he'll come down in size.

Comment

Chavez is nervous about Cotto...he already ducked him twice, 'cuz Roach didn't have enough time to spend with him, he was training Pac. I think Chavez is improving, but not fast enough. Cotto better get this overgrown, exciteable, (a flaw Cotto can take advantage of), inexperienced kid before he does develop into a good formiddable opponent.

Comment

160 pounds chavez beats him

Comment

Originally posted by jazluvr View Post
            Chavez is nervous about Cotto...he already ducked him twice, 'cuz Roach didn't have enough time to spend with him, he was training Pac. I think Chavez is improving, but not fast enough. Cotto better get this overgrown, exciteable, (a flaw Cotto can take advantage of), inexperienced kid before he does develop into a good formiddable opponent.
            Agreed, or before Chavez JR outgrows the MW division this dude blows up heavily between fights...

Comment

cotto, btw you got some nice vids

Comment

Besides the weight i think cotto beats him. It's that cotto dosnt have the power really. He will depend on his boxing skills fighting of the backfoot and judges don't like that unless your mayweather

Comment

Originally posted by ИATAS206 View Post
                  I agree, although I do see Chavez giving cotto some problems because I'm sure as hell Roach will be instructing Chavez to box and if he does that his reach and height will be a problem for cotto. Chavez has that inner warrior in him though it's in his DNA, whenever he gets caught flush he likes to stand their and trade, so eventually he'll come down in size.
                  See I think that's the worst thing he can do. He has height and reach but he just doesn't have the skill to box Cotto. He's getting better, yes, but do you really think he can jab and move against Cotto? If he tries to do that he's gonna get picked apart, and then by the time he tries to go to war he'll be too far down on the cards and will not have done enough early damage to win on points or wear down tko.

His best bet is to go after Cotto like he did Zbik. Get Cotto out of his comfort zone, press him and throw a ton of body shots and try to use his size and strength advantage to wear him down.

Either way, I'd pick Cotto by decision....I could see Cotto getting his body punching grove back in this fight as well and cause a late stoppage.

Comment

Originally posted by Alx. View Post
                    cotto, btw you got some nice vids
                    Thanks man. Been working on a Cotto vid these past couple of nights, should be done soon.

And regarding the topic, I agree with most of the posts. Now NATAS brought up a little post that brought up another issue in my head.

Cotto NEEDS to focus on bodywork in my opinion for the Chavez fight. Not like it's crucial but it will definitely help Cotto take him down slowly. That left hook to the body that took down Foreman needs to be polished up and ready to overwhelm Chavez.

Cotto will end up busting him up anyways but a combination of body and head work will make Chavez want to quit that fight. Cotto has one of the best body hooks I have ever seen, in my honest opinion.

And to the box comment NATAS made, well, when Chavez boxed in the last fight that looked weak as hell. I mean, he's going to have to step it up BIG TIME if he wants to outbox Cotto effectively. Again, my personal opinion.

I agree that he has the tools but I don't think he has the skills to pull it off.

Comment

Working...
                    X