Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holyfield deserves a good ranking imo. Lasted a long time in the game, Many belts, coming back from defeat, succesful rematches, going against the ods nearly his entire career and always disproving the critics(Maybe again soon), great boxing ability, NEVER DUCKED ANYONE IN HIS LIFE(He deserves so much respect for this!), ability to adapt, one of the biggest heart the sport has ever seen..man I can go on, what has this man not accomplished in his career? I have to be honest, he is definitely ahead of Tyson. And IMO also ahead of Lewis.

Comment

• Originally posted by WelshDevilRob View Post
      The big deal is that you don't seem to be in grips with reality.

Prime Larry Holmes does beat the old, fat 90's Foreman.

You know your stuff LRR but you are the guy that laughed at Seer - who said Cotto would be champion. Guess what Seer was right- LRR was wrong.

WelshDevil
      ** Jeepers Creepers Robby, open up those peepers. I've always liked Cotto from the first fight I ever saw him in. His brother is pretty decent too and maybe holds a belt eventually. Cotto ain't the 2nd coming yet, but I'm willing to wait and watch the fun.

Prime Larry Holmes could barely handle past prime Norton, was lucky to survive a limited Shavers/Snipes. Many refs would've stopped that Shavers bout. Holmes, not as good a chin as Ali, not as shifty defensively as Young, never as good as Holy. Now maybe the prime Holmes could surprise the version of Foreman who was not ready for Morrison's hit and run tactics, a complete style change for Morrison or win a stupid Briggs decision.

The only guy Larry fought that represented a comprehensive threat was Cooney, and Larry had to take some punishment to take out Cooney late. Cooney hadn't even completed 2 rounds over his previous 2 yrs and never been past 8 rds in his limited experience.

Larry, a good fighter, but strangely absent during periods of great and good young talent in the 70s and 80s.

Comment

• Originally posted by LondonRingRules View Post
        ** Jeepers Creepers Robby, open up those peepers. I've always liked Cotto from the first fight I ever saw him in. His brother is pretty decent too and maybe holds a belt eventually. Cotto ain't the 2nd coming yet, but I'm willing to wait and watch the fun.

Prime Larry Holmes could barely handle past prime Norton, was lucky to survive a limited Shavers/Snipes. Many refs would've stopped that Shavers bout. Holmes, not as good a chin as Ali, not as shifty defensively as Young, never as good as Holy. Now maybe the prime Holmes could surprise the version of Foreman who was not ready for Morrison's hit and run tactics, a complete style change for Morrison or win a stupid Briggs decision.

The only guy Larry fought that represented a comprehensive threat was Cooney, and Larry had to take some punishment to take out Cooney late. Cooney hadn't even completed 2 rounds over his previous 2 yrs and never been past 8 rds in his limited experience.

Larry, a good fighter, but strangely absent during periods of great and good young talent in the 70s and 80s.

I agree that Larry was not quite the dominant champion that some seem to elude too but I do think he had the jab and ability to soundly outbox the old version of Foreman. The Prime version of George I rate above Larry in my Top 10.

Out of interest how did you score the Holmes vs Witherspoon fight, LRR?

Also great to see your still around in the boxing world. And while I don't agree with everything you say - I do learn alot from reading your observations and posts.
        Last edited by WelshDevilRob; 09-08-2007, 07:24 AM.

Comment

• I think Holyfield Faced 8 ex-champs and Champs. Tyson Faced i think Tyson face around 9 or 10, and Lewis i think only 5 not too sure with him tho

Comment

• Originally posted by The Iron Man View Post
            I think Holyfield Faced 8 ex-champs and Champs. Tyson Faced i think Tyson face around 9 or 10, and Lewis i think only 5 not too sure with him tho
            Including fighting Current Champs,ex Champs and Future Champs:-

Joe Louis : 8 faced, record 7-3-0 6KOS
            Muhammed Ali : 11 faced,record 12-5-0 7KOS
            George Foreman : 7 faced, record 4-4-0 4KOS
            Larry Holmes : 13 faced,record 10-5-0 6KOS
            Mike Tyson : 12 faced,record 10-4-0 8KOS
            Evander Holyfield : 12 faced,record 13-4-2 5KOS
            Lennox Lewis : 12 faced,record 12-2-1 8KOS 1DQ

I thought you lot mind find that quite interesting, when I have some more time, I'll go through and do the others
            Last edited by -CANE-; 09-11-2007, 02:09 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by WelshDevilRob View Post
              Out of interest how did you score the Holmes vs Witherspoon fight, LRR?
              ** Excellent case in point. I had Larry squeaking by a win. Spoon gave him as much as he could handle and still win, which considering Spoon's poor training habits and inexperience, 15-0, speaks to the true level of talent that Larry had. Good talent, but not great talent.

Larry was 33 yrs old, and closed out the year against Scott Frank, 21-0 and Marvis Frazier, 10-0, both overmatched physically and in experience against Holmes, but much easier than a Witherspoon rematch. This is also when Thomas, Page, Tate, Tubbs, Dokes, Coetzee, are good physical specimans and entering their primes.

Comment

• Holmes didn't get the belt until the point in his career when many would consider a swift style heavyweight passed their prime.

Those are some interesting stats you have, hurricane. It goes to show that the champions weren't so different after all when it comes to the level of competition they faced.

Comment

• Originally posted by hurricane72 View Post
                  Including fighting Current Champs,ex Champs and Future Champs:-

Joe Louis : 8 faced, record 7-3-0 6KOS
                  Muhammed Ali : 11 faced,record 12-5-0 7KOS
                  George Foreman : 7 faced, record 4-4-0 4KOS
                  Larry Holmes : 13 faced,record 10-5-0 6KOS
                  Mike Tyson : 12 faced,record 10-4-0 8KOS
                  Evander Holyfield : 12 faced,record 13-4-2 5KOS
                  Lennox Lewis : 13 faced,record 12-2-1 8KOS 1DQ

I thought you lot mind find that quite interesting, when I have some more time, I'll go through and do the others
                  These are interesting stats to be sure, but I wouldn't read too much into them. All world champions are not created equal afterall. There is a HUGE difference between Tyson beating world champion Trever Berbick and Ali beating world champion George Foreman.

Poet

Comment

• Best heavywieghts of all time:
                    1.Muhammad Ali
                    2.joe louis
                    3.jack dempsey
                    4.rocky marciano
                    5.mike tyson
                    6.Larry holmes
                    7.Joe frazier
                    8.Goerge foremen
                    9.Sonny liston
                    10.Ken norton

Comment

• Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
                      There is a HUGE difference between Tyson beating world champion Trever Berbick and Ali beating world champion George Foreman.
                      Poet
                      ** True dat, but then again Ali goes to 10-7 with fair judging for Norton, 8-7 if we throw out the Liston fights, and 7-7 if he had fought Norton the 4th time like he was supposed to instead of Spinks.

I just love it when numbers rhyme like a rhythmic chime in time!

Comment

Working...
                      X