Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Matthysse Didn’t Think Peterson KO Would Come That Fast

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Matthysse Didn’t Think Peterson KO Would Come That Fast

Lucas Matthysse has long been highly confident in his punching power — after all, only two of his wins beforehand had gone the distance — but he didn’t think the knockout over Lamont Peterson this past Saturday would come as soon as it did.

Matthysse floored Peterson once in the second round, then twice in the third round en route to the stoppage victory, bringing his record to 34-2 with 32 knockouts and 1 no contest.

“I never imagined I was going to finish it that fast,” Matthysse said afterward at the post-fight press conference, according to translator Eric Gomez of Golden Boy Promotions. “He’s a great champion, he’s fought the best, and nobody’s ever been able to knock him out. I was expecting a tougher fight. [Click Here To Read More]

Very few expected it that fast.

Comment

I knew he wasn't looking for a straight away KO ever since I heard the conference call. I think even Lucas was surprised at his own power. LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by BUNGALOWS View Post
        I knew he wasn't looking for a straight away KO ever since I heard the conference call. I think even Lucas was surprised at his own power. LOL.
        Lucas expressed modesty during his post-fight interview. It didn't seem it was staged -- the guy looked candid enough...

Comment

Originally posted by BUNGALOWS View Post
          that is exactly what i felt when i saw lucas's facial exressions when he landed those bombs and when smoger waived it off. it looked like "god dayum am i strong as fuck!!! where the shit did THAT come from?!"

Comment

That surprises me a little. Everyone else knows he only needs to land a single flush shot on anyone and it could be lights out but Lucas doesn't? I think it's just a bit of a PR exercise designed to sway any fans who are still a little on the fence about the guy.

Either that or he over estimated Peterson, could be either.

Comment

Originally posted by SpeedKillz View Post
              that is exactly what i felt when i saw lucas's facial exressions when he landed those bombs and when smoger waived it off. it looked like "god dayum am i strong as fuck!!! where the shit did THAT come from?!"

Comment

I think the difference now is that he
                believes in his power. Now he knows what
                he can do against very solid opposition.

Comment

After hearing Peterson say that he was willing to go toe to toe with Matthyese about a week or so ago I knew right then and there that there was a possibility that it would end like it did, quickly. Peterson got hurt then got sloppy, Peterson has always been there to be hit, he just had never faced anyone who could capitalize on it and had the power get him out of there like Matthyese who is a great finisher, unlike Ortiz was.

Comment

Lucas Matthysse VS Danny Garcia WILL Be A War! Let's Get It On!

I give both these guys more credit than Floyd Mayweather deserves, for not hand picking their opponent, then showing up to fight, and not hit and run, hit and avoid, dodge, jab and run. This fight is good for Boxing, and it cleans out the pretenders from the the real deal. Personally I think this was too much fight for Peterson on the heels of the Kendall Holt fight, which was very competitive and hard fought until the stoppage. Matthysse/Garcia will be Alvarado/Rios and a greater level. They should pit the winner against Alvarado.... And that winner should get Maidana. Those are great fights waiting to happen. Nobody enjoys seeing Mayweather on his bicycle like we saw with Guerrero. Floyd got more credit for the Cotto fight because he had no choice but to fight his azz off. Floyd showed nothing against Guerrero.

Comment

Working...
                    X