No announcement yet.

Hip Hop (The Next Generation)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by paulf View Post
    I spent a lot of 2011 traveling and working on music, and I have to say if there's one trend I noticed and ****ing despised, it's this huge surge of white rappers I'm seeing around. It's like every failed rocker is now either a dubstep DJ or a ****ing rapper.

I have nothing against rap music, but I have a serious problem with white rappers. Eminem was cool in that he was an exception to the rule, but when I see these ****ing clowns from Salt Lake City, Seattle, and Oklahoma doing diss tracks I get seriously disgusted. Haven't we coopted enough black culture?
    As a black man, I have no problem with white emcee's. I have no problem with any emcee as long as they are dope, we shouldn't look at color.

Logic is one of the most talented emcee's to come out lately, check his mixtapes out. And Yelawolf is another white emcee who's got skills and has dope music.

The flip side to the whole Machine Gun Kelly and Mac Miller stuff is this.....if they were black, a lot more black hip hop fans would like them, and that's all there is to it. And I say this as a black man. We can't compare every white rapper that comes out to Eminem. Eminem is one of the greatest, along with Pac/Nas/Rakim in my book, so we can't hold every white rapper to that standard.

But a lot of people hate Machine Gun Kelly or Mac Miller, without properly checking into their music. They hear Wild Boy from MGK and than write him off. Or they hear Donald Trump from Mac and write him off. No one can tell me that MGK and Mac don't make better music than other popular emcee's like Tyga, Wale, Wayne, Nicki, 2Chainz, Lupe Fiasco.

Kendrick Lamar and Logic are, in my opinion, the top two emcee's coming out lately.

If you are having reservations about Machine Gun Kelly or Mac Miller, check out these tracks. They make some dope songs and don't always just rap about bulls**t like Tyga, Wayne, Wale, 2 Chainz, etc.

Last edited by 4Corners; 10-23-2012, 09:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Miburo View Post
      The next generation will be hand-selected by the record labels based purely on market appeal and not at all on talent. Just like the current one. I mean with commercial rock music, yeah it's ****ing awful, but at least you can say it still fits within the definition of the genre. But I often question whether or not any of this stuff can legitimately be called hiphop
      It really can't and it's a shame these young kids nowadays don't know what real hip hop is. 99% of everything on the radio when it comes to rap is horrible.

I have never seen a genre go backwards like Hip Hop has. In every other musical genre you have seen an evolution. Rock went to the progressive alternative sound, R&B incorporated more hip hop beats, Soul even changed into this neo-Soul sound that is so deep and rich.

Hip Hop on the other hand has gotten worse and worse. It's basically pop now and the best "MC's" nowadays, sound like 3 year olds compared to real MC's like KRS-1 and Rakim who were around 20 years ago.

I listened to some guy named Lil B and it was amazing to me how someone can make an actual record rapping like that. He sounds like he's in the 5th grade and can't talk or read.

Drake, Lil Wayne...guys like that are so bad it's embarrassing to the genre and now they are singers too.

Hip Hop has become a popularity contest and who is the coolest kid in school basically. Actual talent means nothing and is reserved for underground rappers that could never make enough money to survive because 99% of hip hop fans want everything dumbed down so they can enjoy listening to it.

Hip Hop isn't dead, but it's creeped back into the gutters and shadows of the music industry. Which is kind of where it belongs because that's what made it so great, it was the black version of punk rock, those two genre's should never be commercialized.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
        It really can't and it's a shame these young kids nowadays don't know what real hip hop is. 99% of everything on the radio when it comes to rap is horrible.

I have never seen a genre go backwards like Hip Hop has. In every other musical genre you have seen an evolution. Rock went to the progressive alternative sound, R&B incorporated more hip hop beats, Soul even changed into this neo-Soul sound that is so deep and rich.

Hip Hop on the other hand has gotten worse and worse. It's basically pop now and the best "MC's" nowadays, sound like 3 year olds compared to real MC's like KRS-1 and Rakim who were around 20 years ago.

I listened to some guy named Lil B and it was amazing to me how someone can make an actual record rapping like that. He sounds like he's in the 5th grade and can't talk or read.

Drake, Lil Wayne...guys like that are so bad it's embarrassing to the genre and now they are singers too.

Hip Hop has become a popularity contest and who is the coolest kid in school basically. Actual talent means nothing and is reserved for underground rappers that could never make enough money to survive because 99% of hip hop fans want everything dumbed down so they can enjoy listening to it.

Hip Hop isn't dead, but it's creeped back into the gutters and shadows of the music industry. Which is kind of where it belongs because that's what made it so great, it was the black version of punk rock, those two genre's should never be commercialized.
        But you mention the weakest emcee's out there on the radio. Wayne, Drake (when he features on other people's albums like Game and Kendrick, he isn't THAT terrible), Tyga, Wale, 2 Chainz. They are terrible.

You need to check out Kendrick Lamar and Logic. Logic's mixtapes are getting big, but he's basically a mixtape emcee right now, but he has serious skills. Kendrick's album just came out, and it's a definite throw back to old school, while keeping himself original. I was skeptical of J Cole initially, but check out his other stuff. He isn't that bad, and he doesn't rap about just bulls**t. And of course we still have greats like Em and Nas around.

Top 5 no order: 2Pac, Em, Nas, Rakim, KRS-One. A lot of these young kids now days would look at you funny if you mention Rakim or KRS-One and it's sad.

Comment

That Kendrick GKMC is so ****in great. Classic. Im listening to it now. Man Im blown away.

Comment

Originally posted by 4Corners View Post
            But you mention the weakest emcee's out there on the radio. Wayne, Drake (when he features on other people's albums like Game and Kendrick, he isn't THAT terrible), Tyga, Wale, 2 Chainz. They are terrible.

You need to check out Kendrick Lamar and Logic. Logic's mixtapes are getting big, but he's basically a mixtape emcee right now, but he has serious skills. Kendrick's album just came out, and it's a definite throw back to old school, while keeping himself original. I was skeptical of J Cole initially, but check out his other stuff. He isn't that bad, and he doesn't rap about just bulls**t. And of course we still have greats like Em and Nas around.

Top 5 no order: 2Pac, Em, Nas, Rakim, KRS-One. A lot of these young kids now days would look at you funny if you mention Rakim or KRS-One and it's sad.
            I'm not saying there isn't good hip hop out there or good MC's. I'm saying that what is in the forefront is a bad representation of the genre. The guys making the most money are the worst one's.

Also, Hip Hop used to be a culture, not just a form of music. When I was coming up (damn I know that sounds old) it was about B-boying, graffiti, the way you dressed, talked and the DJ and MC.

Now, it's just about making money and you see the way different guys are just copying other guys. Most MC's don't even battle rap, some don't even write their own stuff.

I mean it's just a completely different form of music.

Here's someone who is still doing it as an MC. He's just one of many but most wouldn't even know who he is. This is the sh.it I listen to.

Comment

"You just a baby wipe trying to disinfect a rabies bite"

Arsenal (Battle rapper)

Comment

The best up and coming rappers are Hopsin,Dizzy Wright,Blu, CesCru and Epidemic

Check out Epidemic's new album Monochrome skies. Best Album since 96

Comment

Kendrick Lamar (Overly Dedicated, Section.80)

Schoolboy Q (Habits & Contradiction)

Ab-Soul (Control System)

A$AP Rocky (LiveLoveA$AP)

Action Bronson - sounds like a white Ghostface and fat like Rosay

Odd Future - Tyler the Creator, Earl Sweatshirt, Hodgy Beats

Comment

It is not just rap that is dying, all genres are dying. All of it is getting dumbed down. It is all become commercialized versions of pop.

It feels like the record companies only want to appeal to kids. They create media darlings, then use those media kiddies to use twitterverse to create more of the same. The record companies no longer have to put their own money or resources into anything, or assume risk. They can launch any garbage they want, because what they produce hardly costs them anything. It is all Twitter/Youtube/Digital Media downloads doing the work for them.

What it all comes down to is they no longer need quality control. Just keep pumping it out and call it cool. The kids will buy it up.

Comment

I actually think that Drake has got some lyrical ability. The singing is garbage but he can spit, no doubt.

Comment

Working...
                      X