Darren Barker is not a fighting man.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CraigM View Post
    He dislocated his hip...

Thats a painful injury and will seriously threaten his career.
    Video from this morning, he says he doesn't know if it was dislocated. He sounds kind of funny though, either still drunk or suffering from the effects of the punches.

He says the gameplan was to move. If that was the gameplan, he should take the rematch and (injury permitting) actually stick to it next time because he appeared to have success on the outside.
    Last edited by Weebler I; 12-08-2013, 09:47 AM.

Comment

Feel sorry for Barker..he's had no luck at all with injuries.
      Hopefully he isn't forced into retirement, and he can have another shot in the Strum rematch.

Comment

If he doesn't need the surgery then he might roll the dice on the rematch and earn some more retirement pocket money. Listening to that interview Weebler posted he's talking about his career in the past tense.

The only way I see him fighting again is if his team convince him to have one more fight, and I don't get that impression.

Great story though and a pleasant enough bloke. Macklin, Murray and Lee must be gutted.

Comment

Sadly, I think Darren needs to call it a day.

Comment

Originally posted by Bodyshot3 View Post
            Sadly, I think Darren needs to call it a day.
            Definately, his body isn't up to it, you couldn't sell a rematch after what happened. Happy retirement Dazza.

Comment

Originally posted by Weebler I View Post
              Video from this morning, he says he doesn't know if it was dislocated. He sounds kind of funny though, either still drunk or suffering from the effects of the punches.

He says the gameplan was to move. If that was the gameplan, he should take the rematch and (injury permitting) actually stick to it next time because he appeared to have success on the outside.
              Ah, if he doesn't know it probably wasn't!

It doesn't take long for a doctor to x-ray him

Comment

I really like the guy and always wish him well. But ever since the Martinez fight I've always felt he's not quite a true fighting man, he doesn't always take it seriously.

I've heard quotes from him saying something to the effect of; he wasn't motivated for the Martinez fight, he had family stuff going on, and didn't believe he could win it. That he got a few rounds in, found it surprising he was doing ok, so lifted his game and went for it. I find that very odd indeed.

I think the guy has some mental problems to be quite honest, and it's odd he's also unlucky with injuries. I actually believe you could possibly connect the two, when you plod along and day dream at times, you pick up knocks and injuries.

Crackin' chap but often seems to be 'somewhere else'.

Comment

Everything I've seen from him and those around him says to me that getting a world title was everything to him, to the extent that his motivation completely fell away after he achieved his dream.

Comment

He didn't luck out beating Geale he gutted it out like a true fighter.

Comment

Not to toot my own horn, but I was bang on the money.

Darren retired now and admitted he lost some of his drive after becoming champion.

I wish him nothing but the best for the future though. Hopefully we can listen to him as a commentator or a pundit.

Comment

Working...
                      X