Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

if you are a southpaw, how do you counter the straight right from orthodox fighters?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by purecyse View Post
    distance: stepping into punching range only when ready to attack then stepping out and maintaining a distance that would require an opponent to step in under fire. ex. pacquiao did this very well against hatton, who jumped in with a wild right hand that pac ducked under and countered to hurt hatton the first time. also, judah/ cotto, the first counter uppercut that had cotto dancing.

movement: generally, when circling your opponent, a southpaw is taught to step towards the opponent's jab hand so, for the opponent to properly hit you with the straight right, they have to reach. this exposes them to a variety of counter choices. this also helps keep the southpaw's right foot outside his opponent's left foot. ex. pacquiao/ de la hoya. when roach/ lederman kept saying pacquiao is "turning" de la hoya.

proper head movement: such as changing levels, moving the head after every punch/ feint. ex. lucian bute's vicious left hook to the body seems to be set up by this and proper distance. as his opponent rushes in, he takes a step back and slides under the right hand. this exposes the whole of the right side of the body and gives him a safe angle to step out from.

attack: the same weapon that works for the orthodox fighter, works for the southpaw. the difference is that the southpaw is probably used to seeing the angle of that straight right, it's not always the same the other way around. ex. i believe it was mosley's trainer in the 2nd winky wright fight that said "don't wait on a southpaw". roy jones went on to explain that most orthodox fighters aren't accustom to the angles the punches are coming from enough to fight in a reactionary fashion. ex. pacquiao/ cotto, where cotto was getting tagged with punches he did not see coming based off hand speed and angle while on trying to block whatever attack pacquiao was throwing.

Hatton leaped in with a left hook and Pacquiao clipped him with a right hook.

The best weapon is a counter left straight over the top of his right hand (aka just good distance)

If you got a quick right hook you can fire that off mid way through his straight and catch him too.

You can also slip the straight right hand and fire a left uppercut off

Comment

Spartacus' advice is right on. Keep your left hand at your chin and when you see the right coming, tuck your chin, twist your left elbow down and towards your navel. This will turn your tucked chin inward making the right land on your forearm or glove. As long as your glove is tight against your chin, you can take that right. It also keeps you in position to counter with a right of your own followed by a straight left.

If you DO want to counter as a lefty, perhaps the best counter is to slip your head to your right and snap your straight left. The important part of doing this, is to throw that left with your shoulder high. Your left shoulder should slap your left ear if you're doing it right. The beautiful thing about this counter, is even if you miss with your left, it will block their right because your chin will be behind your arm. Regardless, if you throw it right, it will make them think twice about throwing the right again.

Other than this, circle to your right away from the right hand, but then you have to look out for left hooks.

Comment

if your lead foot is outside his you should be able to throw a cross of your own and beat him to the punch. if not block or slip the right while throwing a short right hook of your own.

you can slip the right and come back with a left hand over the top or to the body. or you can parry the right hand with your left hand and come right over it in the same motion, like mayweather was doing to ortiz.

the most basic thing you can do is catch it with your left and fire a jab back at the same time. like the right hook technique but easier and less dangerous, also less reward though. but if you are struggling to counter it thats where you should start.

Comment

The truth is, there are many different counters. If you are a lefty, you can use your straight left hand, you can use the left hook over his right, you can even step inside and counter with a right uppercut or right hook but it's more dangerous and risky.

The thing is, it should be something you work on and get good at because as a lefty, you are going to see right handed fighters more often obviously. The important thing is to stay defensively sound, keep your opposite hand up and learn to time that shot.

Easiest one is parry/catch the right hand with your left hand (back hand) and throw a nice crisp, short right jab. Try that was well.

Comment

they say the straight right is the best thing against a southpaw. so doesn't the same apply if you are a lefty? i always switched and could land the left or right from either side. that theory is overated. you have to commit to counters. all the slip or move this way etc means nothing if you do not impose your will to counter. there is no best way. a fighter who throws looping punches may not be able to counter with straight punches. every fighter is different. you can be taught how to counter but for some it is a gift.

Comment

Well, personally I've never had that problem against right handed fighters. I love fighting either right or left handed fighters. I realized very early on that as a south-paw I have to fight a lot using the lead left hand. I love it, it is a beautiful shot. Someone who uses it a lot is Mayweather. As a south-paw, I like fighting southpaws because you can throw the overhand left, and I like using my left hook either upstairs or downstairs, and right hook into the body. However, I depend a lot on my left hand whether lead hands or hooks. With my right hand I like the uppercut, but I don't like my jab or right hook. My right hand is hella weak.

Comment

Parry with your left, jab with right, take a step to the right. Rinse and repeat.

Comment

Real quick, though. I think a good counter to a straight right is left uppercut, especially if they have a habit of stepping in too much with their punches.

Comment

Working...
                  X