Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bernard Hopkins' Most Significant Performance?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For some reason the Trinidad fight stands out most in my head, just because of how B-Hop completley dominated Tito( who at that point hadn't be beaten up like that). The win over Antonio Tarver is another fight that was impressive to me.

Comment

Originally posted by MalikKnucklez View Post
      Remembering Bernard Hopkins: What's His Most Significant Performance?

Whatsup ya'll... I decided to wait a day for all the noise to die down from yesterday and give us (Hopkins and boxing fans in general) a chance to reflect on the career of a future Hall of Famer and ATG. I was sittin down with my brother last night and we were discussing some of BHop's most memorable performances, and decided to share and see what BS posters thought.

What do you think was Hopkins' most significant fight? In terms of relative importance to the sport and cementing his legacy?

I'll probably post up my thoughts in a minute, but since I'm a relatively young fan (22), I'm more interested in hearing about what some of the older fans think and what you guys consider to be hist most impressive performance and why

Also, feel free to share any personal stories or memories of watching the dude fight
      the ******s will tell you Trinidad but Trinidad was welterweight so that victory doesn't mean much really, Trinidad was past it. His best wins were over Tarver, Pavlik, and Pascal (both wins, yes he won the first fight too)

Comment

The Trinidad fight was legendary. Hopkins was considered nothing more than a stepping stone to Trinidad's greatness.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
          The Trinidad fight was legendary. Hopkins was considered nothing more than a stepping stone to Trinidad's greatness.
          Trinidad was, is, and will always be overrated as ****

Comment

Originally posted by Oh you out son View Post
            Trinidad was, is, and will always be overrated as ****
            Or maybe Hopkins was just that good? It's not like Trinidad hadn't proven himself at middleweight.

Hopkins completely dismantled and stopped the guy ranked p4p #1, who had a damn middleweight tournament set up only for the reason of crowning Trinidad and setting up a Roy Jones fight, if I'm remembering correctly. I may be remembering that incorrectly.

That trumps a lot of the wins any fighter has since. I don't understand how anyone would discredit that win for Hopkins.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
              Or maybe Hopkins was just that good? It's not like Trinidad hadn't proven himself at middleweight.

Hopkins completely dismantled and stopped the guy ranked p4p #1, who had a damn middleweight tournament set up only for the reason of crowning Trinidad and setting up a Roy Jones fight, if I'm remembering correctly. I may be remembering that incorrectly.

That trumps a lot of the wins any fighter has since. I don't understand how anyone would discredit that win for Hopkins.
              I'm not discrediting the win. It's just not nearly as impressive as the wins over Tarver, Pavlik, and recently Pascal. I guess TS said career defining and in that case it would be Tito cause he was the biggest star at the time. But man, middleweight was not the best weight for Trinidad, at welterweight he was far better and DLH still whooped his ass there

Comment

Originally posted by prinzemanspopa View Post
                Most likely his title defense against Morrade Hakkar.The fight defined an era and represented so much more than just a boxing match.Hopkins carried the entire nation's hopes on his shoulders after France had inexplicably undermimed the war on terror and was under great pressure to deliver a victory - and to do so in a decisive manner.

The hype was unprecedented and Hopkins was even invited to the White House to meet the president,where upon he received some "encouragement" from the leader of the free world: reaching down Bernard's pants,the president grasped Bernard's testicles,leaned over and gently whispered in his ear, "We need these to beat France,B-Hop - don't let us down,n^gga."

Needless to say,he didn't let them down and he solidified his status as a true American hero.
                I LOL'd. Hopkins/Hakkar is one of my guilty pleasures

On topic, the annihilation of Tito is BHop's greatest performance.

Comment

Originally posted by Pin Galarga View Post
                  Trinidad made him, another fight He won with headbutt tactics.
                  I say the trinidad fight seeing how the ricans are still but hurt till this day

Comment

How about thr Robert Allen trilogy? Lol One of the most pointless trilogies in boxing history

Comment

I was too young to remember everything that was going on around the Tito fight, so I voted for Pascal II. (with Pavlik coming in close second for similar reasons)

I think at the end of the day beating George Foreman's record is what will be said first when lobbying for his ATG status. (especially to younger fans)

Not only that, but the nature of the fight. Pascal was pretty successful in making that an "ugly" fight in my opinion, and Hopkins succeeded in trading with a much younger and stronger opponent, out-foxing him when he wanted to and imposing his will when he needed to. I remember people saying that the only way he was gonna win that fight is if he didn't sit there and trade with Pascal. He did it convincingly, and in great form.

Comment

Working...
                      X