Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In which fights did a Boxer show mercy for his opponent?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In which fights did a Boxer show mercy for his opponent?

There are certain situations in boxing which I remember to this day cause they were kind of "strong" and "powerful". I am talking about fights in which the fighter who was winning showed mercy for his opponent. I would love to hear from you guys which fights you remember cause I will watch them.
    Here are the examples which come to my mind right now:

Roy Jones showed mercy for his opponents in some fights: against Reggie Johnson it clearly looked as if he could have knocked him out with ease but he refused to do it. Btw Roy Jones' father once was the trainer of Reggie Johnson so he kind of saw Reggie as a "son" so that might have been a reason also.
    I also believe Roy Jones showed mercy in his fight against Richard Hall.
    Muhammad Ali showed mercy in quite some fights. I think it was against Jimmy Ellis where Ali once even looked at the referee as if he asked him to stop the fight. I believe there were also other Ali fights in which he couldn't bring himself to go for the "kill".
    another example: I would say Pacquiao took it easy on Margarito at the end of the fight (but that is just my opinion. Please don't make a Pac-Mayweather thread out of this )
    Joe Calzaghe stopped punching Roy Jones at the end of the fight and just clowned around the last rounds and ran around. After Roy got cut, I think Calzaghe didn't want to hurt him anymore. (But this is also just my opinion. People see things different)
    I remember Sugar Ray Leonard looked concerned for his opponent after he brutally knocked out Davey Boy Green.
    Alexis Arguello showed concern after he knocked out Kevin Rooney (who of course later became Tyson's trainer).
    At the end of Tyson vs Lennox Lewis it looked to me as if Lewis pushed Tyson down at the end cause he didn't want to hit him anymore.
    I think I also remember once Tokunbo Olajide was kneeling on the canvas with one knee after he knocked out an opponent. Olajide was concerned about his opponent's health. I believe I read an article about this in a boxing magazine probably a decade ago.

Would love to hear examples from you guys. And as I said, some examples I mentioned might only look like that to me and not to other people.
    Last edited by Salardo; 12-02-2012, 05:37 AM.

Ali could have hit Foreman one last time as he was going down but he didn't.

Comment

Reggie Jackson is a baseball player man.

You mean Reggie Johnson.

Comment

mayweather vs. victor ortiz

Comment

Originally posted by Light_Speed View Post
          Ali could have hit Foreman one last time as he was going down but he didn't.

exactly, great example. I remember that now and even Foreman later said Ali could have hit him one more time.
          Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
          Reggie Jackson is a baseball player man.

You mean Reggie Johnson.
          lol yeah you are right. my bad, I edited it.

Comment

Larry Holmes vs Muhammad Ali. Holmes battered Ali throughout the fight but was reluctant to really sit down on his punches and get Ali out of there. Larry Holmes could've really hurt the guy but he choose to "show mercy."

Comment

Roy Jones vs Bryant Brannon.

Roy gestured to the ref to stop the fight.

Comment

Originally posted by BostonGuy View Post
                Larry Holmes vs Muhammad Ali. Holmes battered Ali throughout the fight but was reluctant to really sit down on his punches and get Ali out of there. Larry Holmes could've really hurt the guy but he choose to "show mercy."
                Wasn't there a story about Holmes taking a cab home that night and crying the entire way back?

Comment

Edwin Valero against everyone he ever fought. Knocked them all out rather than punish them.

Didn't Larry Holmes ask the ref to stop the fight while he was battering Marvis Frazier in the Corner on the ring?
                  Last edited by Rapid Counter; 12-01-2012, 03:03 PM.

Comment

My coach really stressed about Pacquiao - DLH. Haven't seen the fight for awhile.

Comment

Working...
                    X