50Cent talks about d future of SMS; y Floyd won't fight Pac

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 50Cent talks about d future of SMS; y Floyd won't fight Pac

by Kevin Iole

Curtis Jackson is a former boxer, so perhaps the stamina he showed on Thursday shouldn't have been all that surprising. Jackson, the hip hop and rap star whose stage name is 50 Cent, clearly displayed an extraordinary aptitude for his new job as a fight promoter.

Jackson stood in the middle of a sweaty boxing gym in Los Angeles, on his feet for hours, reeling off the same answers to the same questions time after time. His genius is that he has the uncanny ability to make each interviewer feel special, as if he were getting something new, different and better than the rest.

The ability to find new solutions to old problems, as well as his salesmanship, is what has made Jackson one of the most successful under-40 entrepreneurs in the world.

His sales ability and business savvy might just be the variable that finally, after more than three years of agonizing and often bizarre negotiations, brings Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Manny Pacquiao to meet in what would be the richest boxing match in history.

Pacquiao has business to take care of ahead of a potential Mayweather fight, though. On Saturday, he'll meet Juan Manuel Marquez for the fourth time in a pay-per-view bout at the MGM Grand Garden. Their first three bouts were exceptionally fast-paced and action packed, but no matter what he did, Pacquiao hasn't been able to conclusively defeat Marquez.

A win Saturday and once again talk will pick back up about if and when Pacquiao will face Mayweather.

Jackson is positioned perfectly to make the fight happen. He's been Mayweather's long-time friend, but as a boxing fan he wants to see his buddy fight Pacquiao as badly as anyone.

full article:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/boxing-...165012400.html

Interesting bit --

One of the big issues, Jackson said, is that Mayweather is incensed at how much money Pacquiao would make. Mayweather offered Pacquiao a flat $40 million for the fight, which would represent the highest purse of Pacquiao's career.

For a fight this big, even $40 million is a low-ball offer, and anyone with a modicum of business sense knows Pacquiao would have been foolish to accept that deal. But Jackson said Mayweather gets irate that fighters make so much money fighting him.

Mayweather, Jackson believes, wants the majority of the earnings for himself.

"Having to pay that kind of money really irritates Floyd," Jackson said. "He feels that when someone is making more money than they ever made, they shouldn't be asking for more. He feels like he's the star and he should be making the money and they should be thanking him for what he's willing to pay them."

Comment

Floyd won't fight Pac
      Well what a shocker...

Comment

50 cent exposes floyd again LOL!!!

Comment

50 cent is going to save Boxing!!!

War 50!

Comment

Originally posted by TRTboy View Post
            50 cent exposes floyd again LOL!!!
            exposed?i thought it was common knowledge that floyd is the star and wants to be treated as the best/star

Comment

I like how he's calling out promoters on their bull**** and unwillingness to take on tough fights.

It's one of the biggest issues hurting the sport right now.

He made a lot of good points. Unfortunately people will only pay attention to the Floyd comment though.

Comment

Did 50 "argument was fake for show only" cent or did 50 "it wasnt fake it was real" cent say this?! Credibility gone for me. Hanging with Bob "yesterday i was lying but today im telling truth" Arum to long.

Comment

Originally posted by letsgobrady View Post
                  exposed?i thought it was common knowledge that floyd is the star and wants to be treated as the best/star
                  Thats some diva crap that has nothing to do with boxing or and thats why he gets rightly shredded for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Fetta View Post
                    Did 50 "argument was fake for show only" cent or did 50 "it wasnt fake it was real" cent say this?! Credibility gone for me. Hanging with Bob "yesterday i was lying but today im telling truth" Arum to long.

I rarely use this term, but you have to be the biggest flomo on this site.

Comment

Working...
                    X