• Greatest UK fighter ever?

IMO...

1, Lennox Lewis
    2, Ken Buchanan
    3, Barry McGuigan
    4, John Conteh
    5, Lloyd Honeyghan

(maybe Hatton after he does Skippy)

As i said IMO, very much up for debate. It's a tough one!

I'm not sure of where he should be on the
    list,but Naz would have ko'd both Buchanan
    and McGuigan.

Comment

Do you think? Maybe McGuigan vs Naz would've been a war, a classic even. But i think Buchanan would have too much movement and skill for Naz.
      Used to go out with a girl from St Hellens. Just along from Suttons brewerey, the estate oposite where Bargain Booze is now!

Comment

It's between either Jimmy Wilde or Bob Fitzsimmons...Either one would be an excellant pick, as they're the most logical choices for this distinction.
        Last edited by Yogi; 03-24-2005, 09:38 PM.

Comment

What about Henry Akinwande? Just a joke lol!

Comment

Here's a few more fighters that would certainly be ranked over most of the fighters you mentioned, and would help fill out a top five/ten list if you're inclined to do one of those;

Ted 'Kid' Lewis, Jackie 'Kid' Berg, Jim Driscoll, and Freddie Welsh.

Comment

Benny Lynch is another one who deserves a fairly high ranking on that list.

Comment

Originally posted by Yogi
                Here's a few more fighters that would certainly be ranked over most of the fighters you mentioned, and would help fill out a top five/ten list if you're inclined to do one of those;

Ted 'Kid' Lewis, Jackie 'Kid' Berg, Jim Driscoll, and Freddie Welsh.

Wow Yogi! Your going back a bit there? While were there though, what about Jack London, Henry the Hammer (if his eyebrows didnt split like tomatoes), or even Randolph Turpin? He used to live near me?

Comment

Originally posted by dustymoo
                  Wow Yogi! Your going back a bit there? While were there though, what about Jack London, Henry the Hammer (if his eyebrows didnt split like tomatoes), or even Randolph Turpin? He used to live near me?
                  Sure, I don't think Turpin would look out of place being ranked in the top 10, but it would probably be towards the bottom, if at all. A victory over who many consider the greatest fighter to ever live has to count for something, doesn't it?

I'm a big fan of Henry Cooper, but I don't consider him to be one of the greatest fighters that the UK has produced. He's one of the better heavyweights, sure. But p4p, I think he comes up way short.

And Jack London? I don't know a whole lot about him, besides the fact that he was the bald headed father of Brian, and had some decent success back in the 30's and 40's.

Here's another couple of guys that are worth mentioning, and possibly make the top ten; Owen Moran and Peter Kane.

Comment

And yeah, I'm going back a bit for some of those names. It seems the older I get, the more I appreciate those old-timers for some reason. LOL!

Comment

Working...
                    X