Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How often do boxers down a few shots before fight?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How often do boxers down a few shots before fight?

Now that oscar admitted he downed a few shots of tequila before a few fights it's making me wonder. I've heard stories about old school fighters that would also do this, some even lit up a cig before they went out and brawled for 15 rounds.

I remember reading an article about 1 a year or so ago of Mayweather taking some drops of Tequila for the Hatton fight along with consuming Marijuana (not completely sure if it was marijuana or coke) if I'm not mistaken. Let me try to find a link to the article and I'll post it here.. It was posted by the LA Times.

But I thought the De La Hoya interview was really interesting, makes you wonder what other boxers might be doing as well.

Another fight that I've heard stories about is Emanuel Augustus. I remember reading a couple of stories of him taking substances before fights as well.

Comment

probably more common that we realize. I think mostly just the guys that are really nervous before their fights. Oscar was one of those guys so I'm sure it helped him calm down.

I don't see anything wrong with taking a shot or two before a fight if you're freaking out. Obviously too much would be stupid.

Comment

ricardo mayorga

Comment

Originally posted by ИATAS206 View Post
          probably more common that we realize. I think mostly just the guys that are really nervous before their fights. Oscar was one of those guys so I'm sure it helped him calm down.

I don't see anything wrong with taking a shot or two before a fight if you're freaking out. Obviously too much would be stupid.
          You're probably right; it's more common than we think. I never really gave much thought to it, but I always wondered how nervous the top pros get before a big fight. I used to get butterflies just making my way to the gym on sparring days. I couldn't imagine gearing up for a real fight before thousands of screaming fans in a televised event. I need a shot just thinking about it. lol

Comment

Jake LaMotta comes to mind right away, dude was probably tipsy as hell on his way to the ring.

If anybody has seen the Chavez Sr. documentary, before a fight (way into the twilight of his career) he couldn't sleep and had to keep popping pills. He literally woke up a few minutes before the fight started lol I'm sure he had done drugs before fights.

Comment

Mayorga would come in drunk and his corner would spray cocaine into his nose just for the lulz.

A real Boxer.

Comment

I always wondered about large amounts of caffeine or over the counter energy pills or nowadays with the energy drinks being taking before a fight especially for high workrate pressure fighters there legal but still elevated levels would give you an advantage at least in the early rounds before all the sugar and caffeine wore off but if you took enough you're only in the ring for an hour

Comment

Wouldn't surprise me if Ricky Hatton and Ricardo Mayorga did.

Comment

Monzon used to smoke in his corner.

Comment

Working...
                    X