No announcement yet.

Johnson: Pacquiao fights dead men

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Johnson: Pacquiao fights dead men

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- Former two-belt champion Mark "Too Sharp" Johnson, the first African American fighter to win a flyweight title, told ******.com on Wednesday that he believes that there is "no comparison" between himself and RING No. 1-rated pound-for-pound WBO welterweight beltholder Manny Pacquiao, who captured his first of a record eight crowns as a 112-pounder in December of 1998.

"There is no comparison. Let me tell you something: like I have said before, nobody called me out, I called them out. So, I didn't fight no dead men. I didn't have to pull the wool over anybody's eyes," said Johnson.

"I didn't have to pull the wool over the eyes of people who don't know boxing by fighting guys like Shane Mosley, Oscar De La Hoya and even all of those guys like Antonio Margarito. Them guys were already dead. Everybody I fought was alive."

On Tuesday, Johnson was elected to the International Boxing Hall of Fame's Canastota, New York-based museum, along with five-division titlewinner Thomas "The Hit-Man" Hearns, five-time trainer of the Year Freddie Roach, ring announcer Michael Buffer, Showtime Sports color commentator Al Bernstein and veteran boxing journalist Michael Katz among others.

Johnson was on hand at Wednesday's Washington, D.C., event at the John A. Wilson building, which houses D.C. Mayor Vincent C. Gray, Council Chairman Kwame R. Brown and their support staffs.

A native of Washington, D.C., Johnson was in attendance to help promote Saturday night's HBO-televised clash at the Washington Convention Center between RING No. 1-rated junior welterweight and WBA/IBF beltholder Amir Khan (26-1, 18 KOs) and RING No. 6-rated Lamont Peterson (29-1-1, 15 KOs).

Roach will work Khan's corner, and Buffer will introduce the fighters with his trademark phrase, "Lets Get Ready To Rumble."

A slick boxer-puncher, the 40-year-old Johnson (44-5, 28 knockouts) was ranked as high as No. 3 in the sport's pound-for-pound ratings before retiring in February of 2006.

Johnson was ducked by standout fighters of his day from 108 to 115 pounds, such as Johnny Tapia, Danny Romero, Michael Carbajal and Ricardo Lopez.

Meanwhile, Johnson believes Pacquiao (54-3-2, 38 KOs) has been the beneficiary of having faced inferior if not past-their-prime opposition, including No. 5-rated pound-for-pound and 38-year-old WBO/WBA lightweight beltholder Juan Manuel Marquez (53-6-1, 39 KOs), over whom Pacquiao won a controversial majority decision on Nov. 12.

It was the third meeting between the two, who had earlier battled to a draw and a split-decision win for Pacquiao in May of 2004 and March of 2008, respectively.

"When Pacquiao finally fought Juan Manuel Marquez again, it was a guy that was 40 percent dead, and the guy controlled the whole fight, and the guy controlled the pace of the fight. When I fought, I controlled all of my fights," said Johnson.

"Nobody else controlled the pace. I always made the comparison of me and Marvin Hagler and Aaron Pryor. Me and Hagler were left-handed, and we were too good and too black. Aaron Pryor could use both hands, and he was too good and he was crazy."

Photo by Delane Rouse, Hogan Photos, Golden Boy Promotions

Lem Satterfield can be reached at lem.satterfield@gmail.com

Not sure if johnson is really a pachater or just jealous he never got the opportunity some of the caliber of fighters pacquiao has faced. The whole dead men claim has been done to death and has proven itself false over and over and over.

Barrera after being ko'd by pac went on a 4yr win streak. Olympic medalist rocky juarez couldnt beat him. Marquez could barely beat him before being completely dismantled by pac again.

Morales was such a dead man that just this year many believe beat madaina. The same madaina who's in his prime and knocked out victor ortiz.

Marquez couldnt be stopped by the much younger juan diaz or katsidis either.

Cotto just avenged the only other loss in his career and all you would have to do is look at the front page of nsb to see to see how few people think is shot to the point of no return.

Comment

Jealous haters

Comment

In B4 the flame war. My prediction arm chair warriors will say Johnson is just bitter, jealous, racist, and don't know shiet about boxing. Others will retaliate with insults and sarcastic humor and it will be on.

Comment

So Tapia moving up to bantamweight is an excuse to duck Johnson? GTFO!

Comment

Originally posted by Boxingtech718v2 View Post
            In B4 the flame war. My prediction arm chair warriors will say Johnson is just bitter, jealous, racist, and don't know shiet about boxing. Others will retaliate with insults and sarcastic humor and it will be on.
            Nothing against johnson but its obvious his statements were pushing an agenda because time has proven it to be false as some of these dead men were or still are beating prime and/or elite level fighters after pac was through with them.

Comment

Johnson is now a dead man. *******s will write emails to him and harass him until he dies.

RIP Mark Johnson.

Comment

Another black guy hating on Pacquiao I can't wait when Pacman make these mofos shut their a** up when he KO Floyd.

Comment

Originally posted by shadeyfizzle View Post
                  Nothing against johnson but its obvious his statements were pushing an agenda because time has proven it to be false as some of these dead men were or still are beating prime and/or elite level fighters after pac was through with them.
                  Are you seriously saying Mosley, Oscar, Marg weren't dead men?

Comment

Originally posted by led View Post
                    So Tapia moving up to bantamweight is an excuse to duck Johnson? GTFO!
                    This is a mite off topic but who the fine thing in your sig sir?

Comment

Working...
                    X