Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Happened To The Puerto Rican Champs?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by handwraps View Post
    Yeah sounds like a race bait. We have had great champions from P.R. Just because at the moment things are a little dry, doesnt mean some wont emerge. And as far as the mexican comment, You guys got no room to talk cause the pinoys are crushing you as well lol. The only pure mexican star is canelo. And Chavez jr. if you really want to count him. The rest are pretty much up and coming contenders. And are mexican american. I actually like most of them, But had to comment in my people 's defense lol.
    You're a flat out moron. Which Pinoys have been destroying Mexican fighters? I seem to view it the other way; Pacquiao just got obliterated by Marquez and Gesta was shut out silly by Vazquez. Nonito Donaire? Oh yeah, big badass he is beating up on washed up Arce and midget Montiel. The rest of your post is completely idiotic that I don't even wish to address.

Comment

Originally posted by YOKOMOHOYO View Post
      I do not agree with this post at all. I actually think is a very dumb post. Cubans are relevant alright , they have their history and know their stuff. But Puerto Rico will never , never be irrelalevant in this sport. We might be in a bit of a slump. But we will bounce back. We always do. Too much history and passion. Boxing is huge over there. Our tradition is big and we love it too much.
      I'm not saying they are going to be completely irrelevant I'm just saying they are really struggling right now.

While they have been struggling you have the Argentinians really stepping up for the first time in a while.

A New Rivalry between Argentina and Mexico is starting to emerge.

Comment

Originally posted by MANIAC310
        Quote:
        The Puerto Rican - Mexican rivalry isn't racist. We're both Latinos
        in the US your lumped but what about outside the US and yes your right it isnt racist unless you talk about actuall racial groups....its the same way as americans **** on canadians and brits...

maybe the cuban guy is onto something becuase when americans talk about people from any latin american country it then is considered racism?

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Originally posted by Cuban Linx View Post
          I'm not saying they are going to be completely irrelevant I'm just saying they are really struggling right now.

While they have been struggling you have the Argentinians really stepping up for the first time in a while.

A New Rivalry between Argentina and Mexico is starting to emerge.
          I don't believe two fighters (mathyse , Martinez ) in what? 2 years at most ,make a rivalry.

A rivalry , at least for me , is top fighters in divisions fighting for main titles for years , not just 2 fighters making s name for themselves beating some prospects and up and comers ,and I'm sorry but that's what Argentina and Cuba has right now. You can go back decades between Mexico and P.R and find meaningful title fights , maybe 3 times a year or more. That's a rivalry. I respect what the new wave of Cuban fighter are doing right now and I am a big fan of Martinez and a supporter of Mathyse but I need way more to call that a rivalry.

I'm not saying Cubans and Argentinians haven't had success or had great fighters or deserve respect and props. But is not a rivalry.

Comment

Originally posted by YOKOMOHOYO View Post
            Mexican boxing has evolved. It has improved. Puerto Rican boxing needs a change , we need better trainers. We don't have world class trainers. I've always said this , and not to sound like Puerto Ricans are tougher or more "macho" than any other men. But in P.R every man knows how to fight. You can even go on YouTube. And 9 times out of 10 even in street fights you see kids with a similar boxing stance and when you see them throw a punch you would think they had some type of training. I'm not kidding , and I'm not exaggerating at all. So I've always wondered , if that has something to do with the success. And if the lack of world class trainers has hurt us over the last years. You can't just teach kids the fundamentals and make them make weight. You gotta adjust in fights ,have a backup plan ,and a backup plan for that. If you are a really good trainer most of the time you don't need to use it. But you should have one.

I know some people probably won't agree but I always thought the first Cotto and Margarito fight , Cotto lost that fight because he was not well coached. Yes margarito did put a hurting on him , but with a bit less "dancing" and a bit more grabbing which is totally legal , Cotto would have won that fight. All the elite fighters fo it. Hopkins is one that knows all the tricks in the book and he takes advantage of every single one. Mayweather also. At the time of the stoppage Cotto was physically and mentally drained, not to mention he had eaten bombs for shots. And the guy in front of him wouldn't go down unless you hit him with a sledge hammer. If he had spend less time "dancing" , a bit more standing his ground and outpunching him , taking a few steps back , almost like Gambia fights, he would have been able to finish that fight on his feet and probably won it.
            Couple of things, men all over the world can fight. Russia has some of the toughest people on the planet. I been to PR and lived there, I also have a child from a PR chick so I know PR very well.

Boxing is NOT fighting, it's an art and a sport so you are probably more right in you're assessment of that maybe there isn't world class trainers in PR. I find that hard to believe with all the history but I have heard that before and will take your word on it.

As far as Cotto, Marg was a terrible style match up for him. I don't think Cotto beats a prime Marg ever. I hear what you are saying as far as holding, and a different strategy but that version of Marg was just an animal. He was a come forward brawler with hard power and a chin that could take anything. Cotto has trouble going backwards when pressured like that and it showed.

Remember, Cotto won the first 6-7 rounds EASILY and got KO'd.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
              Couple of things, men all over the world can fight. Russia has some of the toughest people on the planet. I been to PR and lived there, I also have a child from a PR chick so I know PR very well.

Boxing is NOT fighting, it's an art and a sport so you are probably more right in you're assessment of that maybe there isn't world class trainers in PR. I find that hard to believe with all the history but I have heard that before and will take your word on it.

As far as Cotto, Marg was a terrible style match up for him. I don't think Cotto beats a prime Marg ever. I hear what you are saying as far as holding, and a different strategy but that version of Marg was just an animal. He was a come forward brawler with hard power and a chin that could take anything. Cotto has trouble going backwards when pressured like that and it showed.

Remember, Cotto won the first 6-7 rounds EASILY and got KO'd.
              It has nothing to do with being tougher than anyone. I tried to make that clear. It has to do with knowing how to defend ourselves and having the abilities. I'm not saying 100% of the men in P.R know how to fight and defend themselves. But a huge part does.

I've seen kids in P.R go toe to toe standing throwing punches , moving around actually fighting with some strategy. Kids with no training at all. I've also seen kids soccer punch and throw themselves in the ground and kick and get into street fight. I went to school on P.R till 9th grade.I saw my share of fights , I know what I'm saying. Maybe It has nothing to do with success. But maybe it does , I mean its not a bad thing to enter boxing knowing how to throw a proper punch and being able to defend yourself.That's all I'm saying.

And as for Cotto - Margs. You proved my point. Cotto won 6-7 rounds Easily. By the 10th he was dead tired. He was 3 1/2 minutes from walking away with a victory. And it was technically a ko. But it was more of a " live to fight another day ko". He decided to stop the fight. I'm sure a few minutes after that he regretted it. There's no denying the beating and the punishment he took. But he "walked away" , he wasn't koed sleeping on the floor like Pac's last fight. Its not easy to ko Margarito or beat him , but Cotto was 3 1/2 minutes away from a win. He has horrible stamina. He knew he was going to get caught ,he was tired and couldn't hurt Margarito and couldn't keep him away from him. A bit less "dancing" like I said and a bit more holding , could have given him just enough to reach the final bell. Everyone knows Cotto has stamina issues. If toy don't agree that's fine everyone has their opinion but he put himself in that position by trying to completely ourboxing. I don't believe he would have been able to stand there and trade with Margarito , hell no that would have been dumb. The way he fought his second fight was exactly what he needed to do in the first. Hit and move. But in the first he didn't just move , he was roller blading and it took from him. I really believe it. Its just like how Camacho use to fight ,he used to do the whole hit and run , sanding on the toes , but when he wasn't fresh he use to put his hands down and kind of speed walk. To try to catch his breath a bit.
              Last edited by MODAPHUKA; 02-28-2013, 05:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
                Our strength and conditioning coach is from PR and he told me the main reason that boxing has gone down in PR is because of the serious drug problems and crime.

I don't know if that's the case but he also told me they lack really good coaches in PR.

I expect them to come back, there's too much history there not to.
                I sure hope so, though my heart aches for such a thing, the reality is PR kids have gone kinda soft. Sure there is a drug problem and the crime is out of control, mostly carried out by kids with guns, but it's real easy to be macho behind the barrel of a gun.

PR used to cultivate some great sportsmen, when there was nothing to do but play baseball or put some gloves on, and the times were tougher, so the outcome of such an upbringing was tougher, grittier men. Now? Please. I'm sure we've got some top notch Call of Duty players though. Con Wifi gratis en el caserio y todo.... I'm only 32, and I remember playing basketball out of a square hoop made of a plastic milk crate, on an uneven asphalt road. Baseball we played with a broomstick and the "ball" were malta caps.

Comment

Originally posted by Hallaqsillaq View Post
                  I sure hope so, though my heart aches for such a thing, the reality is PR kids have gone kinda soft. Sure there is a drug problem and the crime is out of control, mostly carried out by kids with guns, but it's real easy to be macho behind the barrel of a gun.

PR used to cultivate some great sportsmen, when there was nothing to do but play baseball or put some gloves on, and the times were tougher, so the outcome of such an upbringing was tougher, grittier men. Now? Please. I'm sure we've got some top notch Call of Duty players though. Con Wifi gratis en el caserio y todo.... I'm only 32, and I remember playing basketball out of a square hoop made of a plastic milk crate, on an uneven asphalt road. Baseball we played with a broomstick and the "ball" were malta caps.

That is true , I've gone back and they are more into fashion and crazy hair cuts and reggaeton and thinking they are gangsters. Things have changed over there. I was in my teenage years during the 90' and it was the best.

Comment

Danny "Swift" Garcia - WBC/WBA Jr. Welterweight Champion

Roman "Rocky" Martinez - WBO Super Featherweight Champion

Juan Manuel Lopez and Wilfredo Vasquez Jr. are still top contenders.

Comment

Originally posted by boxingfan10 View Post
                      Danny "Swift" Garcia - WBC/WBA Jr. Welterweight Champion

Roman "Rocky" Martinez - WBO Super Featherweight Champion

Juan Manuel Lopez and Wilfredo Vasquez Jr. are still top contenders.
                      3 of 4 names are gatekeepers homie

Comment

Working...
                      X